Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftrainryder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
People debating whether or not to use AppleCare or buy the extended warranty from their electronic store (usually involving the Geek Squad) heed my warnings.

My daughter bought me an iPad 3, when it first came out, for Mother's Day. She was talked into buying the Best Buy Warranty instead of the Apple warranty. For the past 3 months I've been having nothing but trouble with my iPad so my daughter said I needed to hurry to Best Buy before the expensive extended warranty runs out.

I went to the Best Buy on 62nd and Broadway (NYC) and, after waiting and hitting the counter a couple of times, was able to speak to a tech. He didn't wear a name tag, and did not tell me his name - just look for the young, bald man with a look of apathy. Anyway, I took i tot the tech and I use the title tech loosely here.

He first said that my problems were a result of the new software update, then it was too many apps, next it was "Hey, after two year the battery is going to be slow". So, essentially, it will lock up, freeze, shut itself off, need to be charged twice as much as it used to and be unresponsive to my finger tough (as well as my stylus). He himself saw the issue as he would have to swipe a number of times to clear the screens - so he ran the "Geek Squad Triage App". According to that app, the ipad is fine.

So now, after an hour of watching him just move screens and open apps, and putting my entire iPad back to factory default, I was told "Oh well, we can't do anything at all unless we see the issue happen in front of us." "You have to recreate the problem and then we will take it and send it away for repairs."

This was NOT what my daughter was told would happen - she was assured that if there were a problem, and they could not fix it there, they would take the iPad and replace it with a refurbished iPad - which APPLE would have done. They need to do some honest advertising - you will have to bring the iPad to us, we'll stare blankly at it for awhile, we'll reset it, we'll open and close apps and then send you home saying good luck.

I am beyond furious and intend to file complaints with the store, the Geek Squad Co., the BBB and, just to be certain that people are not taken advantage of again - as my daughter was - at every location I can find that asks which Warranty to choose, or allows me to review this warranty.

Shame on you Best Buy and Shame on you Geek Squad - you've taken advantage of a young person, not to mention a wounded veteran, to make a couple of dollars more off of her. She is absolutely heartsick that this happened - and I could not be more angry if I tried.

Stay away from any Extended Warranties or Geek Squad members at Best Buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apple Care - I will never stray again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Am wondering if that extended warranty was in writing and if so, the terms. Have never been to a Best Buy store, so I don't know what they promise.

Regardless, I would never purchase a store's extended warranty on any item purchased. They are generally a rip-off.

Hope you get the issues resolved.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I have found over many years of buying electronics that extended warranties (including AppleCare) are a losing proposition.

You spend money on them, and 95% of the time, nothing will ever happen. You will still be ahead if you just pay to repair or replace the item the other 5% of the time.

Look at how much AppleCare costs on a Macbook Pro, for instance. $350! It only takes ONE laptop where nothing goes wrong and you're already ahead $350. The second one? $700. Then let's say something breaks; it costs you $500 to fix. You're still $200 ahead. And they don't even cover accidental damage, which is usually what ends up doing in laptops.

I'm $thousands ahead at the moment by not buying AppleCare and extended warranties. Literally everything can go wrong and I'll still be ahead. They just don't make sense in the long run.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I have found over many years of buying electronics that extended warranties (including AppleCare) are a losing proposition.

You spend money on them, and 95% of the time, nothing will ever happen. You will still be ahead if you just pay to repair or replace the item the other 5% of the time.

Look at how much AppleCare costs on a Macbook Pro, for instance. $350! It only takes ONE laptop where nothing goes wrong and you're already ahead $350. The second one? $700. Then let's say something breaks; it costs you $500 to fix. You're still $200 ahead. And they don't even cover accidental damage, which is usually what ends up doing in laptops.

I'm $thousands ahead at the moment by not buying AppleCare and extended warranties. Literally everything can go wrong and I'll still be ahead. They just don't make sense in the long run.

^^^ This

I'm way ahead by not buying any extended warranty. If I look back at the past 10 years I would have never used the warranties that I would have purchased. Credit Cards in most cases cover you to the second year.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sorry to hear i had a good experience with them when I broke my iPhone they replaced and I was happy

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

True enough. Although I do think the extended warranty is worth it for products costing over, say, $2500 dollars, because if I had to replace it, I'd be out $2500, as opposed to being out $300. But for iPads / iPods / iPhones, I totally agree that extended warranties, even AppleCare, isn't worth it. Just buy a new one if it breaks.

If you do buy a warranty, though, buy AppleCare, or buy a insurance from a reputable company. By now, everyone should know that BestBuy's insurance, repair, and other Geek services are a scam. Too bad OP's daughter didn't know this. It's a lesson learned.

Also, if OP's problems still persists after the restore, you might want to take it to Apple. They will troubleshoot a device even if it's out of warranty, and if the problem can't be fixed, will replace them for about half the cost of a new device.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
I have never, and will never, buy Applecare or any other extended warranty for that matter. If it makes you feel better, go right ahead and get it. For me, any Apple product I have ever taken in for repair was well past any warranty Applecare would have provided.

Then there was the apple monitor that Apple decided had a factory flaw many years after the monitor was out of warranty. I caled Apple, they verified the model number was one of the affected models and sent a shipping box to my door a day later. They repaired the monitor and sent it back to me at no charge.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
If the warranty cost is low enough then it's probably worth it. I did get apple care for my Air and it was $99 bucks. That didn't seem unfair to me so I went with it. Usually I avoid warranties since I used to work in retail and I know all about the profit vehicles these warranties are for the stores. They LOVE extended warranties and many times when you do need them it's not covered or whatever other run around they give you. As the OP has sadly found out.

Mostly though, yeah, skip the warranty. I probably won't get apple care again either. Should have spent that extra hundred on 64GB of storage instead. ;)

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I have very different feelings about AppleCare depending on the type of product and its cost.

In general, I like to "self insure" on mobile devices that cost less than $1000. I take good care of my stuff, don't do wild and crazy things with them, have no kids or pets, and can afford to purchase a replacement in the rare instance that I happen to drop something and it breaks. This hasn't happened yet. So I do not have AppleCare on my iPod Touch or iPad rMini. If I had an iPhone it would not have AppleCare either.

There is one AppleCare product that I feel is a very good purchase. I bought it on my iMac and will continue to do so on future iMacs. I tend to buy high end iMacs, so we are talking about $2000 to $4000 products, and self insuring then starts to be less attractive. I would probably feel the same way if I had a high-end laptop.

Assuming a $3000 iMac and AppleCare at $169 with 3 year coverage, it costs about $19 per $1000 insured per year. For a $730 iPad with AppleCare at $99 with 2 year coverage, it costs about $68 per $1000 insured per year. In addition to this, there are co-pays for repair of accidental damage. So the insurance for mobile devices is about 3 to 4 times more expensive.

So for me insuring mobile devices just doesn't make sense. They aren't as essential to me for daily use as is my iMac and, if needed, can be quickly replaced with a new product for a few hundred $$.

Another aspect of AppleCare for the iMac that I really like is that it also covers all hardware accessories purchased during the AppleCare coverage period. This includes such things as peripherals, routers, etc. For example, I've already used this coverage to get some good tech support help from Apple on some networking issues with an Airport Extreme. For me, the additional tech support period and peripheral product coverage is also an important benefit that has not been included in the above analysis.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This was NOT what my daughter was told would happen - she was assured that if there were a problem, and they could not fix it there, they would take the iPad and replace it with a refurbished iPad - which APPLE would have done.

Apple will only do that if they can trace the source to a hardware issue. If they can't replicate it they won't just swap because. At least not in general. If it's an issue that could be hardware or software and you are near the end warranty and haven't been in screaming for replacements or banged the heck out of it sometimes the tech will be nice. But don't expect it. They get watched and if they are doing too many swaps they shouldn't they can get in trouble

Where Apple tends to be better is that they generally know what they are talking about. I've heard best buy geeks say all kinds of things to folks about Apple stuff that is just plain wrong. And then there's the sales staff. I once had a guy confirm for me that I should get an Android not an iPhone because android uses RFC 2549 which is better than the iPhone which uses RFC 1149 because 2549 has ROT 13 encryption.

Last edited:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
People debating whether or not to use AppleCare or buy the extended warranty from their electronic store (usually involving the Geek Squad) heed my warnings.

My daughter bought me an iPad 3, when it first came out, for Mother's Day. She was talked into buying the Best Buy Warranty instead of the Apple warranty. For the past 3 months I've been having nothing but trouble with my iPad so my daughter said I needed to hurry to Best Buy before the expensive extended warranty runs out.

I went to the Best Buy on 62nd and Broadway (NYC) and, after waiting and hitting the counter a couple of times, was able to speak to a tech. He didn't wear a name tag, and did not tell me his name - just look for the young, bald man with a look of apathy. Anyway, I took i tot the tech and I use the title tech loosely here.

He first said that my problems were a result of the new software update, then it was too many apps, next it was "Hey, after two year the battery is going to be slow". So, essentially, it will lock up, freeze, shut itself off, need to be charged twice as much as it used to and be unresponsive to my finger tough (as well as my stylus). He himself saw the issue as he would have to swipe a number of times to clear the screens - so he ran the "Geek Squad Triage App". According to that app, the ipad is fine.

So now, after an hour of watching him just move screens and open apps, and putting my entire iPad back to factory default, I was told "Oh well, we can't do anything at all unless we see the issue happen in front of us." "You have to recreate the problem and then we will take it and send it away for repairs."

This was NOT what my daughter was told would happen - she was assured that if there were a problem, and they could not fix it there, they would take the iPad and replace it with a refurbished iPad - which APPLE would have done. They need to do some honest advertising - you will have to bring the iPad to us, we'll stare blankly at it for awhile, we'll reset it, we'll open and close apps and then send you home saying good luck.

I am beyond furious and intend to file complaints with the store, the Geek Squad Co., the BBB and, just to be certain that people are not taken advantage of again - as my daughter was - at every location I can find that asks which Warranty to choose, or allows me to review this warranty.

Shame on you Best Buy and Shame on you Geek Squad - you've taken advantage of a young person, not to mention a wounded veteran, to make a couple of dollars more off of her. She is absolutely heartsick that this happened - and I could not be more angry if I tried.

Stay away from any Extended Warranties or Geek Squad members at Best Buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apple Care - I will never stray again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Buy employees in NYC in particular are "special". No where else is extremely poor service tolerated by corporate chains as it is here--Apple is an exception.

AppleCare is definitely superior to Best Buy's version in every way. I get it for every iDevice and so far it has saved me far more than what it cost. My iPad 3 *and* my iPhone had to be replaced this year. No one can convince me that not getting it and paying almost $2K to replace these devices would somehow be better for me.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Yeah, Best Buy and the Geek Squad are awful, awful, awful in every way possible. As others have already mentioned, they usually do not even know what they are talking about most of the time. If BB went out of business, which I'm surprised hasn't happened yet actually, it would be better for consumers. Circuit City was a better company and they're gone.

rsquirrel

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
I had the opposite experience with Best Buy. I purchased a HP desktop computer from them (without any extra warranty) and it wasn't working properly from the start. I had freezing issues before even connecting it to the internet. I did not know that I had 14 days to return for a new one. I dealt with HP. They did very little and eventually had me send it back. They returned it to me after replacing the hard drive and mother board. When they sent it back all the games that were on it were gone. I still had problems with it, I believe the freezing issues were gone but other odd things happened like blank tabs. I don't remember how many times it was returned now, but far too many. HP finally wouldn't deal with me anymore so I went to Best Buy. I had to type up all that I had been through as I didn't think I would be able to remember everything and be able to tell it without crying. It had been over 4 months of *ell with and without a computer that didn't work. Resetting it up each time I got it back again. Best Buy sent it back to HP and told them to clear it and re-install the software. At that point I'm convinced who ever re-installed the software forgot to add the games and something else that was needed, since it did all kinds of crazy things no one could figure out what was wrong. HP looked at it again and sent it back without doing anything. Best Buy eventually gave me my $ back and let me get a new computer, they no longer sold the model that I purchased so I paid a bit more and unfortunately still have an HP desktop but thankfully it's running great!

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Best Buy employees in NYC in particular are "special". No where else is extremely poor service tolerated by corporate chains as it is here--Apple is an exception.

AppleCare is definitely superior to Best Buy's version in every way. I get it for every iDevice and so far it has saved me far more than what it cost. My iPad 3 *and* my iPhone had to be replaced this year. No one can convince me that not getting it and paying almost $2K to replace these devices would somehow be better for me.

Doesn't apple provide out of warranty prices for things such as cracked screens? You shouldn't have had to pay full retail as long as you brought the damaged device in.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I never buy AppleCare as I figure I can just get a oow replacement.

Edit: iPad oow info https://www.apple.com/support/ipad/repair/screen-damage/

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Doesn't apple provide out of warranty prices for things such as cracked screens? You shouldn't have had to pay full retail as long as you brought the damaged device in.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I never buy AppleCare as I figure I can just get a oow replacement.

Apple Care for iPad = $99
OOW replacement for iPad 3rd, 4th generation, iPad Air = $299

So you save $200 if your iPad needs to be replaced for manufacturing defects after the free one-year warranty period. If your Ipad suffers accidental damage, it's $50 to get it replaced under Apple Care+, so you save $150. On the other hand, if your iPad never needs to be replaced, you are out $99.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple Care for iPad = $99
OOW replacement for iPad 3rd, 4th generation, iPad Air = $299

So you save $200 if your iPad needs to be replaced for manufacturing defects after the free one-year warranty period. If your Ipad suffers accidental damage, it's $50 to get it replaced under Apple Care+, so you save $150. On the other hand, if your iPad never needs to be replaced, you are out $99.

Companies do the math when setting the prices of extended warranties. They are typically highly profitable, which is why the stores push them, particularly low-margin stores like Best Buy. That said, for some people the extra $99 is worth the peace of mind. In that case, it's generally best to get something from the manufacturer directly. They are more likely to honor the commitment since it directly affects your likelihood to buy their products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.