Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I've a 5S since Oct last year. I just feel, although I know it's relative to user, that my battery life in general use is poor. I also have had numerous battery % jump up and downs, eg today battery was 15% put it on car charger, and it instantly jumped to 29%. I've also had the other way, I've had the "battery is low 20%" then a second later it's 12%.

Also I think even when I charge via an official lightning lead plugged into a computer the battery gets really hot sometimes. At home I normally use my iPad Air charger and lead, and I can feel a "buzz" when I run my finger/pick up the iPhone when it's plugged in.

I've an appointment at a genius tomorrow, which I've noted down the above to tell him, I know they can check the battery log or something, and before Xmas daughter iPhone 5 had terrible battery life, they checked it and instantly said, needs a new battery which they fitted. What do you think they'll do for mine the same?

I'm worried they'll do the battery log check thing and it'll show ok, then what? What will they say, tough? What will I say?

Another strange fault I seem to get is random screen flicker every now and then to, sometimes when unlocking, sometimes just when flickering about, but not all the time. Have people had this to? What is it? Related to battery or different problem?

Anyone experience the same with 5S? I do a full cycle discharge/recharge every now and then, and am tonight in readiness.

Thanks

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
I've a 5S since Oct last year. I just feel, although I know it's relative to user, that my battery life in general use is poor. I also have had numerous battery % jump up and downs, eg today battery was 15% put it on car charger, and it instantly jumped to 29%. I've also had the other way, I've had the "battery is low 20%" then a second later it's 12%.

Also I think even when I charge via an official lightning lead plugged into a computer the battery gets really hot sometimes. At home I normally use my iPad Air charger and lead, and I can feel a "buzz" when I run my finger/pick up the iPhone when it's plugged in.

I've an appointment at a genius tomorrow, which I've noted down the above to tell him, I know they can check the battery log or something, and before Xmas daughter iPhone 5 had terrible battery life, they checked it and instantly said, needs a new battery which they fitted. What do you think they'll do for mine the same?

I'm worried they'll do the battery log check thing and it'll show ok, then what? What will they say, tough? What will I say?

Another strange fault I seem to get is random screen flicker every now and then to, sometimes when unlocking, sometimes just when flickering about, but not all the time. Have people had this to? What is it? Related to battery or different problem?

Anyone experience the same with 5S? I do a full cycle discharge/recharge every now and then, and am tonight in readiness.

Thanks
Balderdash. Your iPhone 5S is under a yeara old. It is under Apple's 1 year defective electronics warranty. If there is no water damage, icloud lock, damage, cracks, dents, ext, you're likely to walk out with a brand new 5S. No kidding. You'll see.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Not sure what I'm expecting tbh. It's in perfect condition. Had front back and side covers on and kept in a case.

I'm thinking at best they may just swap out the battery as did for daughter, and if not I don't think they give out brand new iPhones but just replacement refurbished ones don't they?

Are these common problems that I describe?

iPhone7s

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2014
I charge my 5s overnight and when I take it off charge and use it for a couple of minutes it instantly drops to 99% :confused:

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I have the same jumping % issues. Another battery thread stated it has to do with a faulty battery and voltage. If the voltage sinks below a certain level, your battery is read as having less than it may actually have and your percentage is adjusted accordingly. Hence, when plugging in to the wall, your voltage is corrected to normal and your battery percentage jumps up instantaneously.

Basically, the iPhone 5/5s batteries are weak sauce compared to the 4/4s generation. I'm hoping Apple sorts out the iP6 battery. The best I've ever got was 5.5 hours, no where near the 10 hours proposed in the iPhone 5 revealing.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I charge my 5s overnight and when I take it off charge and use it for a couple of minutes it instantly drops to 99% :confused:
That's fairly normal behavior for lithium ion batteries in devices like phones or computers.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

I turned the percentage off and just charge the phone when the battery is low. Sometimes I charge it when it isn't low. I'm a rebel like that. :p

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Well had appointment, he told me some rubbish to be honest I think. I told him I used iPad Air charger (12W) one, and says oh that's a larger Watt, charges fast, can affect battery life etc (yet on Apple website it states as compatible for all iPhones!!)

Said a bit about jumping % was that it's not accurate, can be estimate, never had it on other iPhones before...

Diagnostics said battery was 90% ok, and I had a lot of software crashes that could cause this also!?!

I then mentioned about the screen flickering issues also, moaned a bit said this and that and said you can have a new phone if want, I said ok then I will, and did.

I asked if it was a new phone and not refurb, he said that my old phone would goto factory and be melted down and remade into another iPhone, and that's where mine has come from, ie basically a "new" iPhone made from old iPhones!?! Is this correct?

So busy setting up "new" iPhone from iCloud, wondering if I should use iPad Air (12W) charger or standard iPhone 5S one now...

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Said a bit about jumping % was that it's not accurate, can be estimate, never had it on other iPhones before...

It IS just an estimate. Turn the percentage off because it is not, and never has been an accurate measure.

I asked if it was a new phone and not refurb, he said that my old phone would goto factory and be melted down and remade into another iPhone, and that's where mine has come from, ie basically a "new" iPhone made from old iPhones!?! Is this correct?

The new phone is most likely a refurb. They don't "melt down" the phone and make it into a new one. They test the parts and re-use the ones that pass the tests. Most of the time they get new external parts like the screen and housing. You have a refurbished phone made from parts of returned phones.

So busy setting up "new" iPhone from iCloud, wondering if I should use iPad Air (12W) charger or standard iPhone 5S one now...

The 12w charger didn't cause any issues, the genius was mistaken about this.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Sounds like he was wrong on lots then according to you T5BRICK? He said to me all parts are melted, as I asked specifically if all were or not just bits, eg housing. He said mine wasn't a refurb (looks brand new have to say), but made of old bits melted, I agree that sounds barmy....and wrong!

I think I have a refurb iPhone with new outer housing. I have to say not sure if it's just me, but the screen looks brighter and "fresher/clearer". Maybe just an old screen protector, as my old one had, and this hasn't got one on yet maybe?

I didn't think it was the 12W charger either, I know a little about electronics, I wish I'd specifically knew that the Apple site stated that it was in fact compatible, but I couldn't be sure, so didn't comment.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Sounds like he was wrong on lots then according to you T5BRICK? He said to me all parts are melted, as I asked specifically if all were or not just bits, eg housing. He said mine wasn't a refurb (looks brand new have to say), but made of old bits melted, I agree that sounds barmy....and wrong!

I think I have a refurb iPhone with new outer housing. I have to say not sure if it's just me, but the screen looks brighter and "fresher/clearer". Maybe just an old screen protector, as my old one had, and this hasn't got one on yet maybe?

I didn't think it was the 12W charger either, I know a little about electronics, I wish I'd specifically knew that the Apple site stated that it was in fact compatible, but I couldn't be sure, so didn't comment.

Yeah pretty sure they don't melt iPhones. There is a 99% chance you have a refurbed phone.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
For the ten millionth time (not literally, but close): it's a refurb!

And for the 9,999,999th time (because one time I failed to ask because I just got lazy that day): If you can't tell, the warranty is the same, and you need someone on an internet forum to confirm if it's "brand new" or a dirty refurb, why does it matter???

The level of OCD in people is hillarious sometimes. They'll swear up and down they don't have it (OCD), or the people with severe OCD will chime in about how bad it can be... but in the end that's all the refurb vs. brand new (especially with Apple) boils down to.

It's a refurb. The warranty transfers. You traded a used broken phone and got a used fixed phone in cosmetically flawless condition in return. If you lose sleep over that, it just proves my point for the ten millionth time =).

Enjoy the working refurb. It'll be ok.

(PS, sometimes Apple employees will SAY it's not just to get the crazies off their back (and because it's difficult (sometimes impossible) to tell the difference... it didn't use to be a big deal, but now that everyone feels entitled to a "new" phone for some reason it's just easier to perpetuate the lie... If it's not in a retail sealed box, or within a few weeks of launch, it's a refurb. Period. Disagree? Prove me wrong. I'm not).

:apple:

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
For the ten millionth time (not literally, but close): it's a refurb!

And for the 9,999,999th time (because one time I failed to ask because I just got lazy that day): If you can't tell, the warranty is the same, and you need someone on an internet forum to confirm if it's "brand new" or a dirty refurb, why does it matter???

The level of OCD in people is hillarious sometimes. They'll swear up and down they don't have it (OCD), or the people with severe OCD will chime in about how bad it can be... but in the end that's all the refurb vs. brand new (especially with Apple) boils down to.

It's a refurb. The warranty transfers. You traded a used broken phone and got a used fixed phone in cosmetically flawless condition in return. If you lose sleep over that, it just proves my point for the ten millionth time =).

Enjoy the working refurb. It'll be ok.

(PS, sometimes Apple employees will SAY it's not just to get the crazies off their back (and because it's difficult (sometimes impossible) to tell the difference... it didn't use to be a big deal, but now that everyone feels entitled to a "new" phone for some reason it's just easier to perpetuate the lie... If it's not in a retail sealed box, or within a few weeks of launch, it's a refurb. Period. Disagree? Prove me wrong. I'm not).

:apple:
Woooaaaahhh there tiger. I didn't expect a brand new boxed iPhone, I never asked for one, knew wouldn't get one. I haven't got OCD, I knew what I'd get, had similar issue with iPad mini last year that screen went bad, and they changed it for a "brown box" one, 1st one brought out had a minor nick in, visible, I asked, he said. I problem, we'll get another one for you.

It's a refurb, fine, but I was just repeating on the forum what the "genius" told me that's all. The housing to me looks brand new, and I think this bit is, the internals maybe not, doesn't matter as you say as warranty is the same.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel

There is no OCD going on in these forums. There is however a lot of whiny self entitled anal retentive people. OCD has become a catch phrase and it really needs to stop. OCD when true is a debilitating condition and people who generalize it make light of it. And this is in no way a reference to the original posters issue in this thread.

iPhone7s

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2014
I turned the percentage off and just charge the phone when the battery is low. Sometimes I charge it when it isn't low. I'm a rebel like that. :p

Yeah sometimes looking at the percentage indicator makes me paranoid. I normally have it off anyway.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Do you have to hand back your old charger and headphones??

No just the phone itself
There is no OCD going on in these forums. There is however a lot of whiny self entitled anal retentive people. OCD has become a catch phrase and it really needs to stop. OCD when true is a debilitating condition and people who generalize it make light of it. And this is in no way a reference to the original posters issue in this thread.

Thank you I agree, was surprised at the reference, was only reporting on my experience.
Yeah sometimes looking at the percentage indicator makes me paranoid. I normally have it off anyway.

So it's no difference, on or off your just "hiding" from it as such. I understand it's an estimate, but been a decent one for me, I look at % and battery icon.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Balderdash. Your iPhone 5S is under a yeara old. It is under Apple's 1 year defective electronics warranty. If there is no water damage, icloud lock, damage, cracks, dents, ext, you're likely to walk out with a brand new 5S. No kidding. You'll see.
Wrong. Why would they give a brand new one out? Refurb.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Wrong. Why would they give a brand new one out? Refurb.
Incorrect. I walked in with a broken defective 5S and walked out with a brand new 5S myself. No refurb business here. Brand stinkin new. Now my broken one was fixing to be a refurb.

The expert said himself. NEW.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Incorrect. I walked in with a broken defective 5S and walked out with a brand new 5S myself. No refurb business here. Brand stinkin new. Now my broken one was fixing to be a refurb.

The expert said himself. NEW.

In UK or USA? What was issue with it? Did they physically get a new box and open it?, or just a white box (like me today), and give you one and say its new?

Thanks

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
You sir, received a refurb:) Nothing wrong with that but you did not get a new iPhone.
Well of course there's nothing wrong with a refurb. It's the grossly incorrect fact that you are trying to correct the past that already happened!

Apple says it will either be 1: A refurb or 2: a new phone.

In my case, it was NEW. Unless you want to say the Genuis bar is lying.

You dont know. I do since I was the one talking with the guy...??? :eek:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
In my case, it was NEW. Unless you want to say the Genuis bar is lying.

You dont know. I do since I was the one talking with the guy...??? :eek:

The genius wouldn't know. There is nothing on the white box phones to identify if they're new or refurb. The only way that he would have a good CHANCE of being right, is if your phone was replaced within the first couple months of the release date of your phone. Even then, those could be refurbished as well.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
The genius wouldn't know. There is nothing on the white box phones to identify if they're new or refurb. The only way that he would have a good CHANCE of being right, is if your phone was replaced within the first couple months of the release date of your phone. Even then, those could be refurbished as well.

Anything in a white box is a refurb......but some people like to think otherwise. Refurbs are ok, not new but still ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.