Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NTNL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
I have a retina MacBook Pro 13' late 2012 model.

I have a Windows partition with Windows 8.1 Pro on it. I set my default font for the whole operating system to Arial but I was wondering if I can get Helvetica onto Windows so I can use Helvetica instead of Arial?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Helvetica isn't a free typeface. You can buy it from Adobe, but it's quite expensive.

NTNL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
Helvetica isn't a free typeface. You can buy it from Adobe, but it's quite expensive.

It comes with the Mac. Would it work if I copy Helvetica to USB and move it into Windows?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Both of you are wrong, in one sense or another...

Helvetica was designed over 50 years ago by Linotype, which was acquired by Monotype several years ago. Adobe has nothing to do with licensing Helvetica. You can buy a license to use Helvetica from one of Monotype's resellers, which includes Adobe, or pick a reseller from Monotype's web site. Licenses for this font start at around $29 for one font, and families of Helvetica can run well over $1000. Buying a license doesn't mean you "own" a font - it belongs to the foundry that licenses it.

Apple has been licensing Helvetica (and the other original Mac "core" fonts) since 1990, around the time I used my first Mac in college, and the fonts installed with OS X. I favored Palatino, personally. I generally subscribe to a service, currently Adobe's Creative Cloud, that includes the licenses I need at the time.

You can't "port" or "copy" one of those fonts from one platform to another, it doesn't work that way, and it's not legal. You might be better off choosing a cross-platform font, or ponying up for the font(s) you want. Keep in mind that cross-platform fonts can render differently between platforms, but that's another story.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Both of you are wrong, in one sense or another...

No, I'm not wrong. Licensing fonts is no different than "buying" any other software, but we typically aren't quite so pedantic when discussing it.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
If you've licensed fonts, and read the terms of the license then you'd know it's not like software licensing. And, I'm not being excessively precise in my post - you can't buy the font from Adobe. Sheesh.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
If you've licensed fonts, and read the terms of the license then you'd know it's not like software licensing.
Actually, I have done both. The license agreements for type from Adobe and anything else they offer are largely the same. Neither type nor applications are technically sold to an end user.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Picking nits, eh? Helvetica isn't Adobe's to sell or licence - it's Monotype's. That was my point with your OP. Look, I've got a life and the point of the thread has been made. Bye.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.