Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kieran9810

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Hi, I tried to do a clean install of iOS 7.1 via iTunes the other day and I got error and my iPad was put into recovery mode. I made a post and got told to put it into DFU mode, So I did that and finally I got somewhere. It came up that it was installing but then I got a notification saying 'device driver software was not successfully installed' and I've got nothing since. iTunes can't detect my iPad, I've probably tried about 10 times but iTunes just wont recognize the device. What Should i Do? Also my battery is almost dead, Will it Charge why its in DFU mode?

Many Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Try a different port, if that doesn't work, try a different cable. If not, try another computer. If that doesn't work, your iPad may have a hardware problem, and you may want to contact Apple.

And yes, it should charge while in DFU mode, but the iPad charges very slowly while connected to a computer.

fingleburt

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Download a program called TinyUmbrella(Google it), run that and kick the iPad out of dfu mode. Works every time and you don't have to be jail broken to use it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
but then I got a notification saying 'device driver software was not successfully installed' and I've got nothing since. iTunes can't detect my iPad,

Wild guess, you are on a PC. Windows often has screw up like this. Uninstall iTunes and the mobile device software. Download new installer etc. Often that solves it. If not your computer has bigger issues. Try a different computer

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Wild guess, you are on a PC. Windows often has screw up like this. Uninstall iTunes and the mobile device software. Download new installer etc. Often that solves it. If not your computer has bigger issues. Try a different computer

Oh, another thought. Is OP's computer connected to the internet? It needs an internet connection to download device drivers...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Oh, another thought. Is OP's computer connected to the internet? It needs an internet connection to download device drivers...

Typically all the supported drivers are included in the windows package so internet access isn't needed for that.UNLESS you are using a way old version of iTunes. Then you might have never had the drivers. However this doesn't seem to be the case since the OP was trying to do a clean install and it would have said it needed an update or failed to see the iPad at all.

And it likely would have asked for Internet access before now to verify the latest copy in computer is latest.

Sounds more like a corruption or a windows issue than the iPad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.