Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swagged

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Gotham City, New York
I purchased my friends (mid-2012) MBP, reformatted the harddrive, and put it under my apple id as my own product, but no iPhoto!. I have iphoto from owning an iphone 5s on my phone, but I still got to pay for it on my mac, I can't login into my the original (my friends) apple Id and install it from their account?

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
...login into my the original (my friends) apple Id and install it from their account?

You could do this, it only blurs the lines a little. Apple allows for sharing of purchased apps but technically only within a household (I'm betting your friend doesn't live with you). However, if you just spend the $15, you'll never have this problem again: iPhoto will be available for you to download onto any current or future machine you own.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
It's $15 dollars. Just pay Apple for it like you know you're supposed to.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
I purchased my friends (mid-2012) MBP
You should have use Internet Recovery to re-install the original OS.

iLife apps are part of the original OS, therefore when you re-install from Internet Recovery, you get the apps for FREE.
You just have to "accept" them from App Store.

Restoring iLife applications after Internet Restore of OS X :

If your computer came with OS X Lion or later and you erase your hard disk and install OS X, you can download iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand from the Mac App Store.

These applications are part of the software that came with your computer. Your account will not be charged for them

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Last edited:

Swagged

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Gotham City, New York

iLife apps are part of the original OS, therefore when you re-install from Internet Recovery, you get the apps for FREE.

If your computer came with OS X Lion or later and you erase your hard disk and install OS X, you can download iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand from the Mac App Store.

These applications are part of the software that came with your computer. Your account will not be charged for them

Is is too late to restore it from internet recovery?

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

I don't think that is going to work for him because he is still required to enter his ID and password using that process to get Ilife.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.