Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Hey guys. I noticed in the sensor menu for "GPU Die - Digital" there is just a dash and no temperature reading. Is this normal for the late 2013 15" rMBP w/ the dGPU?
Thank you.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Seems like an interesting issue. I would possibly reset it and see what the readings are. Restart your MacBook Pro and see if that fixed it as well. Mines says GPU Die - Analog with 37 celsius right now. Hope this helps!

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
If your rMBP is running off the integrated GPU, it will only list the analog reading. You have to trigger the dedicated card (I used gFX Status) in order for the digital readout to show up. Once you switch back to integrated though, the digital reading goes back to --

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
had that happen once to me i just switched to discrete graphics and it was fine. Otherwise even with integrated graphics the digital temp is displaying. If there is any sensor issue the macs fan will run full blast from the second you hit the power button and your kernel task will be very high.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
If you're running off the integrated GPU this should be pretty standard faire.

I've got a 15" early 2011 Macbook Pro and as I'm running on the integrated GPU iStat can't read the dedicated GPU's temperature and is showing it as running at 128C (compared to the CPU at 38C), which is probably the maximum the sensor can measure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.