Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
I'm thinking of buying an iPad but i'm kinda waiting for the next generation because they might come with 2GB RAM

How likely is this? and any idea on when they're releasing the new generation ipads?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I'm also going to wait for the new iPad, which I guessing will be called iPad Air 2. iPads are usualy announced at a separate event in and around October. Apples usual layout is this:

WWDC
September event - iPhone
October event - iPad

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
I'm also going to wait for the new iPad, which I guessing will be called iPad Air 2. iPads are usualy announced at a separate event in and around October. Apples usual layout is this:

WWDC
September event - iPhone
October event - iPad

Oh i see thanks for the input

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Oh i see thanks for the input

No problem, but bare in mind that this is Apple and things could change, for example there is rumour that the alleged iWatch will release in September and new iPads will be earlier.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
It might come with more RAM but might not. I believe they will try and optimize safari to work better with the existing RAM and go from there. I still believe the safari problems are strictly safari since that's the app that's always at the forefront of crashing and reloading arguments.

If they can't then they'll potentially up the RAM. That's my take on it.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
There have not been any specific rumors or reports about the RAM on the new iPads. As of now, all of the rumors and analyst reports indicate that the iPhone 6 will have 1 GB of RAM. iPhones and iPads have had similar hardware specifications in the past, but there's no guarantee that the iPad and iPhone will have the same amount of RAM (nor that the iPhone 6 will still have 1 GB).

I agree with s2mikey that the performance problems people complain about are software issues rather than hardware. We just made the jump from 512 MB to 1 GB with the iPad 3 and iPhone 5, yet the performance complaints seemed to come from people with the 64-bit devices with greater RAM (newer software, more bugs to be ironed out). iOS 7.1 made a big difference in memory performance. I would not be surprised if the next generation of iOS devices still have 1 GB of RAM, but we'll see what Apple does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.