Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBookWhooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2014
Philippines
Hello,

I'm just a week old Mac user, so please help me out with these silly and easy absurd questions, (imo). First of, my iPhone is synched to my old Windows-based laptop. When I plugged it into my Mac while using iTunes, I received a message that I have to erase all of the contents of my phone because it is synched with another computer. It's actually fine with me. The problem is the songs stored in my phone. Is there a way to get the iTunes library/settings specifically all of the music so that the songs will not be lost after erasing my phone? Also, I know whenever you create a backup of an Apple device like for example, an iPhone, all applications are copied right? Everything will be stored in iTunes so that when you restore the backup everything will be back and organized again specially the folders of my apps. Well, I just find those apps stored in my Mac since I won't be able to use them, right? If only I can backup everything, yet the apps will not eat my disk space or just to simply delete them after synching.

Another thing, I also have an iPad. Is there going to be an issue when I plug it to my Mac, through iTunes that was used to sync my iPhone? And I have lots of pictures in my iPhone. How can I back them up? Aside from using iPhotos, what other applications can I use? I just wanna backup the Pictures and Videos to my Mac but not restore them. iTunes restores everything right?

Thanks.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Hello,

I'm just a week old Mac user, so please help me out with these silly and easy absurd questions, (imo). First of, my iPhone is synched to my old Windows-based laptop. When I plugged it into my Mac while using iTunes, I received a message that I have to erase all of the contents of my phone because it is synched with another computer. It's actually fine with me. The problem is the songs stored in my phone. Is there a way to get the iTunes library/settings specifically all of the music so that the songs will not be lost after erasing my phone? Also, I know whenever you create a backup of an Apple device like for example, an iPhone, all applications are copied right? Everything will be stored in iTunes so that when you restore the backup everything will be back and organized again specially the folders of my apps. Well, I just find those apps stored in my Mac since I won't be able to use them, right? If only I can backup everything, yet the apps will not eat my disk space or just to simply delete them after synching.

Another thing, I also have an iPad. Is there going to be an issue when I plug it to my Mac, through iTunes that was used to sync my iPhone? And I have lots of pictures in my iPhone. How can I back them up? Aside from using iPhotos, what other applications can I use? I just wanna backup the Pictures and Videos to my Mac but not restore them. iTunes restores everything right?

Thanks.

Google transfer itunes to another computer. Basically you start iTunes without the device attached, add your Apple ID, set it not to sync upon connection, and copy the iTunes folder over. Attach the iPhone, right click the iPhone in the sidebar, Transfer Purchases, and setup your sync options.

To copy the photos off, you can see them in Finder

You can have multiple devices attached to iTunes, and connected at the same time if you wish

MacBookWhooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2014
Philippines
Google transfer itunes to another computer. Basically you start iTunes without the device attached, add your Apple ID, set it not to sync upon connection, and copy the iTunes folder over. Attach the iPhone, right click the iPhone in the sidebar, Transfer Purchases, and setup your sync options.

To copy the photos off, you can see them in Finder

You can have multiple devices attached to iTunes, and connected at the same time if you wish

That's good. The problem is, it is synched to a Windows version of iTunes.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
That's good. The problem is, it is synched to a Windows version of iTunes.

If you still have the Windows machine you can use /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant.app and use that to transfer that Library over to your new Mac. Then after that transfer is completed and you are happy then go back to the PC's iTunes and (if you planning to get rid of it) de-authorize the PC from the your iTunes online account. This way the 5 computer licenses don't bite you in the future.

MacBookWhooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2014
Philippines
If you still have the Windows machine you can use /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant.app and use that to transfer that Library over to your new Mac. Then after that transfer is completed and you are happy then go back to the PC's iTunes and (if you planning to get rid of it) de-authorize the PC from the your iTunes online account. This way the 5 computer licenses don't bite you in the future.

The Windows machine was already formatted. The only backup that I have is my iPhone.

Makes no difference as the folder structure is the same on OSX and Windows for iTunes.

They are the same if you set iTunes to organize the music files for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.