Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mherz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
Hello !

I am quite experienced in Mac OS, but not so much in OS Server. A few months ago I installed OS Server (Mountain Lion) on a Mac Mini which is dedicated for these server tasks. Yesterday I was changing the settings of my Host Name, changing both the name and the network type from local to private. (host name before was server.local, now changed to server.mycompany-abc.private)

Obviously, I should have know, this did not go so well. There must be something wrong in my DNS settings. I can now reach my server under its IP address, but not under its new host name.

Here are some settings:

under Server / DNS it gives me:
forwarding servers: 2 forwarding servers
and a MAC address (i guess of my router)

and then three records:
two primary Zone with my new host name as machine and name server
and a reverse zone with 192.168.1.104 and reverse mapping

Under System Preferences / Network it gives me the following:
IP address: 192.168.1.104
Router: 192.168.1.1
DNS Server: 127.0.0.1

in Terminal, when typing nslookup hostname, or nslookup ipaddress
it gives me:
server: 127.0.0.1
address: 127.0.0.1#53
*** server can't find hostname: NXDOMAIN

when typing nslookup 192.168.1.104
it gives me the correct host name

with cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep name server, it gives me 127.0.0.1

I guess the problem is between the different DNS settings. i.e. in system preferences giving 127.0.0.1 as DNS server and in Server / DNS giving 192.168.1.1 and the MAC address as DNS server.

I tried changing the setting in system preferences / Network to 192...etc. but this made things worse. Now in Terminal when typing nslookup 192.168.1.104 it returns "name = server.home." which is wrong.

If, on the other hand, I change the Server / DNS settings to 127.0.0.1 as forwarding server, then nothings works anymore.

Where's the mistake??? What am I doing wrong???
Sorry for the long post.
Any help is REALLY GREATLY appreciated!

thanks!!
Manuel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.