Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
I hope I'm posting this in the right place because I really need some help, quickly. Here's the deal. After a very long dry spell, I was just hired on a new job. The job requires a great deal of work-from-home responsibility and I'll be online with the company everyday. The problem, which I was made aware of during training, is that the company uses Internet Explorer for most things and says Firefox and Safari just simply won't do. Rather than turn in my resignation tomorrow, or go out and buy a PC (gag), I was hoping somebody could tell me if it's possible to download and use Internet Explorer on my iMac without problems. Thanks in advance.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
There once was an IE for Mac, but it was no way comparable to IE on the PC in any way that your company probably requires. MS abandoned it years ago and it will not run on any current version of OSX nor on any intel processor.

About the only option that you will have that your company will be happy with is running Windows either through boot camp or through visualization.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
My wife works for a local college and she has to use IE at home. I installed VMFusionware for OS X and installed a windows VM. This works out perfectly.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
Wow

My wife works for a local college and she has to use IE at home. I installed VMFusionware for OS X and installed a windows VM. This works out perfectly.

I'm totally in the dark here and don't understand what you wrote. Can you explain this to me? It sounds expensive and I'm not sure the job pays enough to warrant it. Much appreciated.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm totally in the dark here and don't understand what you wrote. Can you explain this to me? It sounds expensive and I'm not sure the job pays enough to warrant it. Much appreciated.

It's not expensive. In fact I think you can install VirtualBox instead of VMFusion and VirtualBox is free for the non-pro version. Then take any version of windows (preferably Win7) and install it under VirtualBox or FusionWare.

Once finished all you have to do is double click on the created windows icon, and windows will load Inside of OS X. Just use it as you would a windows machine.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
It's not expensive. In fact I think you can install VirtualBox instead of VMFusion and VirtualBox is free for the non-pro version. Then take any version of windows (preferably Win7) and install it under VirtualBox or FusionWare.

Once finished all you have to do is double click on the created windows icon, and windows will load Inside of OS X. Just use it as you would a windows machine.

So, I'd still have to purchase Windows7, right? Thanks for your help.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
So, I'd still have to purchase Windows7, right? Thanks for your help.

If you don't have a copy of some version of windows then yes. That's still a lot cheaper than buying a PC. I purchased a copy for $19.99 using my wife's school account. If you know someone who's a student, that's one way to go on the cheap.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
Thanks

If you don't have a copy of some version of windows then yes. That's still a lot cheaper than buying a PC. I purchased a copy for $19.99 using my wife's school account. If you know someone who's a student, that's one way to go on the cheap.

That's not bad. My son is a teacher, so maybe he could get it for me. I'm notifying my new employer today about the problem and see what they say. Thanks again.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
Update

So, I talked to my new employees IT department and they tell me all I need to do is install Google Chrome. Sounds to easy/good to be true. Before I do that, I'd like to hear any comments you all might have. I've heard a lot of negative feedback on Chrome, but if I just use it for my job, it might be okay. Thanks.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
So, I talked to my new employees IT department and they tell me all I need to do is install Google Chrome. Sounds to easy/good to be true. Before I do that, I'd like to hear any comments you all might have. I've heard a lot of negative feedback on Chrome, but if I just use it for my job, it might be okay. Thanks.

If they said to install Chrome, then install Chrome. Even if the reviews are bad, your employer said to do it. You'll notice pretty quickly if you have any problems.

If you do have problems, then don't hesitate to go with the other suggestion.

Congratulation on the new job!

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
Thanks

If they said to install Chrome, then install Chrome. Even if the reviews are bad, your employer said to do it. You'll notice pretty quickly if you have any problems.

If you do have problems, then don't hesitate to go with the other suggestion.

Congratulation on the new job!

Thanks for the encouragement. Normally, I feel the same way about employment. You do what they tell you. In this case, the job isn't worth ruining my computer, so that's why I asked the question. I'm coming out of retirement and it's just a part time job to supplement my Social Security. I need the job, so I'll give Chrome a try. Thanks for the good wishes.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit

I installed a VM for my wife to access her IT stuff. It has two flavors. One is an old copy of XP and the other has Windows 7. Meanwhile, the IT at her job made most things work through google chrome and she isn't using the Virtual Machines any more. For future reference, there is a way to use IE through a free-to-use virtual machine direct from Microsoft. If you go to modern.ie, there should be ready to use virtual machines compatible with Virtualbox (upper left purple tile under "Dev Tools..." at the time I write this).

Like I said, she is getting away using Chrome and hasn't noticed that the VM doesn't need to load any more for her to do her work-related stuff.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
Thank You!

Thanks to everyone who responded. I truly appreciate your taking the time to comment. This forum is and always was a lifesaver for me.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The OP wrote above:
[[ So, I talked to my new employees IT department and they tell me all I need to do is install Google Chrome. Sounds to easy/good to be true. Before I do that, I'd like to hear any comments you all might have. ]]

You might also try the Epic Privacy Browser.

It uses the Chrome "engine", but with all the google stuff stripped out of it.

Epic is designed to be a browser that inherently protects user privacy.

Freely downloadable and worth a look..

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
Install Parallels, stick Windows on top of that, run it in Coherence mode and...
Walla! Intercrap Exploder on Windoze, on ur Mac:

5OelKVV.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.