Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Which service did you choose and why? I have about 100GB and would like to back them up online other than an offline backup.

TIA

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Keep this in mind - backing up 100GB of photos to an online backup service will hog your internet, and your ISP may have data caps.

A number of well known photographers (Moose Peterson, Chase Jarvis) use multiple backup drives and always keep one offsite.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I use Crashplan. Works well but first backups are a pain. Took over a week to backup both our Macs. As mentioned you do have to watch out for ISP data caps.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I use Crashplan. Works well but first backups are a pain. Took over a week to backup both our Macs. As mentioned you do have to watch out for ISP data caps.

Dump question, why not use a portable hard drive that you can take off site, doesn't that do the same thing and isn't a pain or being slow?

evilpaddy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
That's what I do.
Backup docs to a cloud service but all meatier data goes on a TB drive which goes offsite

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Dump question, why not use a portable hard drive that you can take off site, doesn't that do the same thing and isn't a pain or being slow?

Have to have a place take it regularly. As we're retired and on the road half time in our motorhome (soon to be full time) I don't have a good off site location. Used to keep backups at the office but that's no longer an option.

Another advantage is access. I can restore a word file from Crashplan to a Windows machine if that's my only option. Hard to read that time machine hfs+ drive of other systems. I can also move some files to my iPad.

Last is automation. Crashplan works automatically. Swapping drives requires manual actions. Based on a lot of posts from people that forgot to do backups, I like automatic. "A man's got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.