Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryanthughes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
Hey. So I recently experienced the flashing folder with a question mark on my '11 MBP. Went through the steps and was unable to recover data, or even reinstall OS on the drive. Although, my computer was able to browse the web via command r after logging into my wifi and could firewire boot another mac on the screen. So I assume that the rest is fine? I went ahead and bought an air and would like to now sell this on ebay, but do not want flack from anyone etc.

Would it be acceptable to remove the hard drive and sell it this way, that way no one else may recover my data as well? I'd obviously state the original issue, but I want to ensure that the buyer could easily install a new hard drive and have no issues or complaints.

Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Sure... there are tons of broken Macs for sale on eBay. I think you will be fine as long as you fully disclose what's up.

That said, I would get a cheap hard drive and put in there to get it working. For the $50 or so the drive would cost I would think you would get more than that back in increased sale price.

bryanthughes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
Sure... there are tons of broken Macs for sale on eBay. I think you will be fine as long as you fully disclose what's up.

That said, I would get a cheap hard drive and put in there to get it working. For the $50 or so the drive would cost I would think you would get more than that back in increased sale price.

I guess my question then would be if in my scenario, a new hard drive would mount and start up with no hiccups.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I guess my question then would be if in my scenario, a new hard drive would mount and start up with no hiccups.

Very likely... yes. A bad drive cable and even a bad logic board can also cause this, but both are far less common that the drive failure.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

They'd have to have some way of installing the OS. In which case they'd have to be able to figure out how to do so through the firmware unless they have a flash drive setup to install OS X or installation disc. Which shouldn't be a problem since anyone buying it in that state would likely know how to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.