Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If you have a camera body that does not have built in or attached GPS receiver, your files will not have location data included when the files are imported into your post processing program.

You can could shoot a few shots with a camera that does gave GPS. That could be a phone, tablet, P&S camera...etc. You would then cut and paste the location data from the location aware shots onto the files that are missing GPS coordinates.

Another approach is to use a device as a GPS location tracker that records a GPS location every x minutes and puts it into a file that can be exported in the GPX format. That tracking file can then be used to put lat/long coordinates by comparing the GPS time to the camera time.

If any are you are using a dedicated GSP device to create the GPX logs that you use to process photos, what device are you using?

If you are using a phone or tablet to do the GPX log creation, what app are you using on that phone or tablet?

Any and all feedback appreciated!

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Although I don't specifically use the app for GPS tagging photos, on iOS I use the app MapPath to track GPS data. It has a slick interface and a range of export options, including GPX.

icepilot29

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
Trail GPS

I have been using the Garmin eTrex 20 (HERE) with LR4. It works really well, has good battery life, and it rarely gives me a heartache. Plug it into a usb port and it shows as a mass storage device. Drill down into the folder structure and grab your .gpx. Very simple. And, because it is a trail gps, it has many other functions. Smartphone apps work much the same, but they kill the battery life of your device.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
I have a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. If I have it with me while shooting, then I use Garmin's BaseCamp software to geotag photos using the tracklog from the GPS. It would be nice if I could just do this directly in iPhoto/Aperture, but (a) iPhoto doesn't have the capability at all, and (b) Aperture's implementation is truly idiotic. :eek:

If I don't have the GPS with me, I might use GPX Master on the iPhone. It's a very simple app that saves a GPX tracklog to Dropbox, which I can later import into Garmin BaseCamp. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of other apps, but it works, and the price is right (free). :D

JPM

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have an AMOD GPS logger (http://module.amod.com.tw/Product/product_more.asp?vrlShohL) which I used for a while, but more recently I've been using MotionX on my iPhone. It works fairly well and it's one less device (plus batteries) to carry around.

I also found that getting the files from the AMOD off of it and then into a format (GPX) that Lightroom can understand was a bit of a pain. MotionX outputs GPX natively.

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Although I don't specifically use the app for GPS tagging photos, on iOS I use the app MapPath to track GPS data. It has a slick interface and a range of export options, including GPX.

Does MapPath have the ability to set the recording interval base on time? Say 1 second? The screen shots in the app store only shows recording interval for distance.

apple-ette

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2009
I don't know MapPath, but I use myTracks. One can set recording accuracy (1s, 2s, etc). Not sure if that is what you mean. One can also specify how long to record for, if you just want to record for a known short period, or just press record and it runs until you stop it.

"You can send tracks via email or synchronize them with the Mac OS X edition of myTracks."

pezdaddy

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
on iOS, I use an app called GeotagPhotos. Works fairly well with very minimal battery drain on my phone - I was actually surprised how little it was using.

We were on Mackinac Island (an island between the upper and lower peninsula in Michigan) for three days last month. Set a new "trip" at the beginning of each day and at the end of the day I exported it to dropbox. When I got home the GPX file was easily loaded into lightroom and I was able to sync my photos.

I had a couple of photos that needed the location corrected, but for the most part I am very happy with the app and it works for my needs.

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
I use a GPS tracker, a Blumax GPS-4043. Download and export the GPX with BT747 then tag the photos with GPSPhotoLinker. Has been working well for quite a few years now.

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I don't know MapPath, but I use myTracks. One can set recording accuracy (1s, 2s, etc). Not sure if that is what you mean. One can also specify how long to record for, if you just want to record for a known short period, or just press record and it runs until you stop it.

"You can send tracks via email or synchronize them with the Mac OS X edition of myTracks."

Apple, yes, that is indeed what I'm looking for. Is it possible for you to screenshot that part of the settings page where you can set the recording accuracy for me to see? I want to make sure we're on the same page here. Technically that should be called recording interval rather than recording accuracy.

I did a quick search and apparently there are in-app upgrades? What is it?

Is it possible to send the tracks via Dropbox, iCloud, OneDrive, or Google Drive?

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
There are so many.

I tend to use GaiaGPS a lot; I feel it's the best of the nav apps for various reasons but it might be overkill for just photo geolocation. I liked Motion X, but it has lagged Gaia in customization.

I also use Olympus's photo app for GPS, even though it is designed for use with their wifi cameras. But it has a relatively low battery use GPS logger, and you can export from it and use the logs in your fav software (even though I could do it in LR, I still use Houdah Geo a lot for this). Heck, it's free; you could probably do the same with some other apps.

I have a dedicated GPS with logging that's more accurate, but I generally don't need the accuracy and the phone suffices. With my wifi E-M10 GPS is super easy; I actually prefer it over a GPS enabled P&S I have since there is no GPS to strain the camera battery.

apple-ette

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2009
Apple, yes, that is indeed what I'm looking for. Is it possible for you to screenshot that part of the settings page where you can set the recording accuracy for me to see? I want to make sure we're on the same page here. Technically that should be called recording interval rather than recording accuracy.

I did a quick search and apparently there are in-app upgrades? What is it?

Is it possible to send the tracks via Dropbox, iCloud, OneDrive, or Google Drive?

Here are the export "extension pack 1" and "change accuracy" screens

Attachments

• IMG_1164.PNG
    IMG_1164.PNG
    80 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1163.PNG
    IMG_1163.PNG
    59.3 KB · Views: 215

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Here are the export "extension pack 1" and "change accuracy" screens

I still don't quite understand what the features of the extension pack does. Can't I already transfer the GPX files to a Mac or PC via AirDrop or USB?

apple-ette

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2009
I just sync the tracks in the iOS app with the desktop version of myTracks on my Mac. I haven't used any of the other export features. You may want to contact the app developer for further details.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.