Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
LA
Shot with my 5S
I shoot professionally with Canon and Hasselblad but this little Fuji system excites me at a level only my Leica M's used to.
Just wanted to share.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 244

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
LA
Had you owned or used any other Fuji X cameras or is the the X-T1 your first?

I picked up a used X-E1 along with new 14, 23, and 35 lenses when Fuji offered amazing rebates a few months back. I picked up the X-T1 and 56mm last week.

jwhazel

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Welcome to the club :cool:

What do you think of the 14? It's on my list but no one sells it locally and I hate to pay full price knowing what it was going for when they had their sale.

I currently have the fuji 35 along with a nikon > fuji adapter and old nikkor manual 50/1.8 and 180/2.8. I love how effortlessly this thing works with other systems lenses.

nickditoro

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Minneapolis
I picked up a used X-E1 along with new 14, 23, and 35 lenses when Fuji offered amazing rebates a few months back. I picked up the X-T1 and 56mm last week.

I appreciated your comments. I have the X100S and X-Pro 1with the 35, 60, 18-55 and 55-200 XF lenses. I still shoot events with a Canon 5D MIII, but sometimes the gear weight, particularly with long lenses, is starting to get to me. I'm thinking of investing more in Fuji, and am most interested in the X-T1 and whatever Fuji may decide to offer in the way of full frame. Meantime, I'm considering the 56mm, but am really excited about their 2.8 zooms expected later in the year.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Nice Nice Nice! I am envious! Ha! I use the Fuji XS-1.

By the way, the photo taken with your 5s is pretty amazing!

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Congratz on your new purchase and hope the camera and additional lens serves you very well.

I shoot with X-E2 (and also have an X-E1) that serves me quite well with the 35, 18-55 and 55-200. I hope you get great enjoyment out of your set up.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
I'm so close to pulling the trigger on X system!

I shoot almost everything with dslr and still love it, but the P&S for my wife died and looking to switch her to a smallish ILS. Can't quite pull the trigger on X-T1. May wait for next refresh or their 2.8 zoom.

----------

I shoot almost everything with dslr and still love it, but the P&S for my wife died and looking to switch her to a smallish ILS. Can't quite pull the trigger on X-T1. May wait for next refresh or their 2.8 zoom.

I re-read my post and before anyone jumps all over me, I'm not trying to correlate P&S to X system. She hates the slowness of the P&S and would really like a system like this, and then it's something that I would use myself in lieu of the DSLR for at least certain things!

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
According to rumor sites, an upgraded X-T1 is going to be announced tomorrow.

I left the Nikon dslr scene after buying the X-100. I now use the X100 and X-Pro1 and have had no regrets. Loosing all the bulk has been wonderful and shoot more often as a result.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

It'll be quite a while - it's promised for late 2014 only. And it'll be HUGE (and expensive), compared to the current 18-55.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
It'll be quite a while - it's promised for late 2014 only. And it'll be HUGE (and expensive), compared to the current 18-55.

Good points. It's awfully close to compelling for me right now but not quite. Waiting for a development to push me over the edge. It might even be a personal event vs a fuji release.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Oddly enough I came across this thread since I'm thinking of moving to the X-T1. I know the majority of people will say I'm pretty crazy to even consider ditching my D800 and Nikkor lenses in favor of a mirrorless Fuji system, but being a former owner of the X-E1, I was quite impressed with the IQ of images that I got from Fuji. I know that if the X-T1 was FF, I probably would have pulled the trigger already. I have also noticed a lot of photog's who have recently ditched the DSLR systems in favor of these mirrorless options.

I'm strictly a hobbyist/amateur photographer. But I am a bit hard pressed to give up the resolution and DR of the D800, especially when I only shoot landscapes and cityscapes.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
Oddly enough I came across this thread since I'm thinking of moving to the X-T1. I know the majority of people will say I'm pretty crazy to even consider ditching my D800 and Nikkor lenses in favor of a mirrorless Fuji system, but being a former owner of the X-E1, I was quite impressed with the IQ of images that I got from Fuji. I know that if the X-T1 was FF, I probably would have pulled the trigger already. I have also noticed a lot of photog's who have recently ditched the DSLR systems in favor of these mirrorless options.

I'm strictly a hobbyist/amateur photographer. But I am a bit hard pressed to give up the resolution and DR of the D800, especially when I only shoot landscapes and cityscapes.

I ditched my Nikon system when the X-Pro 1 came out (yes, very rash decision). I loved the photos, but focus issues made it less enjoyable. The X-T1 is immensely better in that department, but still nothing like a DSLR. Instead, I picked up a used Df and sold off my Fuji gear. Neither system is perfect, but you need to prioritize the features.

My recommendation (and is what I am actively doing) is find a good deal on an X100s to compliment your system for when the D800 is overkill.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK

I moved from a 5DII to an X-E1 about 18 months ago. I'd recommend if you can, to give the Fuji's a try before parting with your D800 and see how you get on. My Fuji replaced a back-up camera that I wasn't happy with and it just took over! The lightness, IQ and versatility just made it the camera I wanted to have with me. I really liked the 5DII but the weight meant I was constantly leaving it at home.

The focus speed of the X-E1 may not be what you can get from a D800 but with landscapes and cityscapes they're not exactly going to go away :) and while people talk about the focus speed, I've never had a problem and someone who used to be a sports photographer said on the Fuji X forum that in his working days he'd have loved a camera like that. The X-T1 is also a lot faster according to those who have used it.

For people who are coming to these cameras from a dslr there's a bit of a learning curve, just a matter of forming different habits, but once you're thoroughly familiar with the camera you might not want to go back!

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
The Nikon that you have is an amazing camera for landscapes and cityscapes. While I have invested in the Fuji line (E1 and E2), I find that a bit of experimentation and I was able to take multiple images that are stitched together that rival and exceed many full frame images. The catch is getting a good rail system as opposed to a curved path of panorama and allow the horizon to remain parallel to the lens/sensor. (all shot with the camera vertical)

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I moved from a 5DII to an X-E1 about 18 months ago. I'd recommend if you can, to give the Fuji's a try before parting with your D800 and see how you get on. My Fuji replaced a back-up camera that I wasn't happy with and it just took over! The lightness, IQ and versatility just made it the camera I wanted to have with me. I really liked the 5DII but the weight meant I was constantly leaving it at home.

The focus speed of the X-E1 may not be what you can get from a D800 but with landscapes and cityscapes they're not exactly going to go away :) and while people talk about the focus speed, I've never had a problem and someone who used to be a sports photographer said on the Fuji X forum that in his working days he'd have loved a camera like that. The X-T1 is also a lot faster according to those who have used it.

For people who are coming to these cameras from a dslr there's a bit of a learning curve, just a matter of forming different habits, but once you're thoroughly familiar with the camera you might not want to go back!

The more I thought about it, the more I realized I couldn't part ways with my D800. After some research, I ultimately decided to get the X100S, which is more compact compared to the X-T1. I don't mind lugging my D800 and lenses when I'm out in the middle of nowhere doing landscape photography. It's usually when I'm up in NYC or even Philadelphia where I'd rather leave my DSLR at home, so hopefully the X100S fits the bill.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
The more I thought about it, the more I realized I couldn't part ways with my D800. After some research, I ultimately decided to get the X100S, which is more compact compared to the X-T1. I don't mind lugging my D800 and lenses when I'm out in the middle of nowhere doing landscape photography. It's usually when I'm up in NYC or even Philadelphia where I'd rather leave my DSLR at home, so hopefully the X100S fits the bill.

Enjoy the X100S! You may find it works well as a back up camera or that you end up using it more than you expect. Who cares as long as you're enjoying your photography! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.