Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
So my job rewarded me with a $50 Apple gift card and I thought it was a mighty fine time to buy the Steelseries Stratus controller. With the card it came out to only $36 dollars for me which took the sting out of the $79.99 price. Now I don't have a Apple TV but I do have the Lightning to Digital AV Adapter so this will be my gaming set up. It is very tiny yet it fits perfectly in my hands(because they're small). I have GTA:San Andreas asphalt 8 and will get Metal storm 3 later. This will work for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 206

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Just tested Asphalt 8 and the control is awesome. The feel of the handling is a welcome upgrade for me. I don't have a game system and in a casual gamer but I want to push my ios devices all the way

czecho7

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
Awesome, thanks a lot for the info. I've been considering getting this controller over the last few days, so this was perfect timing! Any chance you could post a few more pics of the controller?

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Do not get this controller! I've tried it with GTA:SA & when I go to menus the cursor shoots up through all the options constantly. The character doesn't stop walking and now the mixtape doesn't play my music anymore. I've tried metal slug 3: FAIL sonic cd:FAIL Only game that works well is asphalt 8. I even installed software update and I really feel horrible about my purchase. I just wanted to play gta without any issues but that's not the case.

Poly

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
Could you maybe try the Stratus out with "Monster Hunter Freedom Unite"?
It's a console port to iOS so it should perfectly fine with the Stratus....

I'm considering buying a Stratus for MH Freedom Unite specifically.

Poly

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
it works perfect with monster hunter :)

marcip3

Does the L-thumbstick control movement and the R-thumbstick the camera control?
To what degree do i still need to interact with the screen while the Stratus is attached?

I really appreciate your input :)

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
It doesn't work with Minigore 2, metal slug 3, GTA:SA, sonic CD, sonic racing transformed.

Poly

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
It doesn't work with Minigore 2, metal slug 3, GTA:SA, sonic CD, sonic racing transformed.

That can't be the case!
I saw MULTIPLE videos on youtube where someone uses the SS Stratus to play GTA SA! You're probably doing something wrong...

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
That can't be the case!
I saw MULTIPLE videos on youtube where someone uses the SS Stratus to play GTA SA! You're probably doing something wrong...

I downloaded the game,deleted it and tried multiple times. The character just walks on his own and in menus it scrolls sporadically.

Poly

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
I downloaded the game,deleted it and tried multiple times. The character just walks on his own and in menus it scrolls sporadically.

I have the Stratus and it works perfectly for me...
But the controller is pretty slow to actually connect to my ipad :/

Juice805

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2014
I got this controller with an Apple gift card and I am 100% satisfied! Love playing games on my iPad now (especially GBA4iOS). However since iOS 8 I noticed the pause button also acts as the home button, so i can't really pause a game without exiting the app.

Does anyone else with the controller have the same problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.