Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ehzool

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
I want to buy a new video camera that's really good in low light kind of like the one used in this music video. http://youtu.be/jtas4gZxE_w
I don't mind going a bit over $1,000. Any ideas? I'm use to use the video on my Nikon D3200 but it's not really meant for video

Last edited:

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
Have you thought about buying a digital photo camera that also does video? I've read great things about the Sony RX10 for video as well as the Panasonic FZ1000 (records in 4k). Both are just under $1000.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I want to buy a new video camera that's really good in low light kind of like the one used in this music video. http://youtu.be/jtas4gZxE_w
I don't mind going a bit over $1,000. Any ideas? I'm use to use the video on my Nikon D3200 but it's not really meant for video

What is wrong with using the D3200? What does it need to do that it can't do well? When you said "low light" the very first thing I thought of was an SLR with a very fast f/1.8 prime. The video you linked to might have been shot using an SLR on some kind of steady cam system.

I'm asking this as a real question. The best way to choose a new camera is to actually write down the things your current camera can't do.

Last edited:

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
this video was definitely not shot on a fast lens with the aperture wide open - too much depth of field.

also, you don't need good low-light behavior for this (but it helps)- just get the ambient light of the the room bright enough and the floor lamps even brighter.

this probably can be done with a nikon 3200. keep in mind that the most important ingredients of this video are the lighting, the steady cam, the color-grading and the lens - not the camera.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
this video was definitely not shot on a fast lens with the aperture wide open - too much depth of field.

also, you don't need good low-light behavior for this (but it helps)- just get the ambient light of the the room bright enough and the floor lamps even brighter.

this probably can be done with a nikon 3200. keep in mind that the most important ingredients of this video are the lighting, the steady cam, the color-grading and the lens - not the camera.

You are right. I'm seeing in that music video what looks like could be done with an f/5.6 kit lens. It certainly does not have the "look" of a cheap $250 camcorder. They got the effect with lighting and limey some really nice color grading choices and a steady cam system.

The OP does say he want to be able to shoot in low light and I assumed that meant in cases NOT illustrated by the music video. The video likely used some good studio lighting.

This is why I asked the OP to write (actually write it out) what is wrong with is Nikon for this kind of work. His current camera should be able to do what he wants.

So many people think buying some special gear will fix a problem but never take time to write down exactly what the problem is. My observations are that if you can't accurately describe a problem you can't fix it.

The OP has done a good job of saying what he wants but not a good job of saying why he can't get what he wants. We will have to wait and see what he says.

I actually do want to hear about any problems with that specific model SLR.

azpekt

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2012
hp, illinois
Pentax K5 IIS
The IIS is the important part about nice shots with low light levels.

As a Pentax k5 owner I cannot disagree more.
This camera is purely made for photos, which it produces just nice.
But as a video camera its woeful.

Sorry to rain on your parade :)

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
As a Pentax k5 owner I cannot disagree more.
This camera is purely made for photos, which it produces just nice.
But as a video camera its woeful.

Sorry to rain on your parade :)
Thank you for the rain, I needed it. You are correct, somehow I missed the VIDEO part. Although it can record video, certainly NOT the best choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.