Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

austinisfunny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
I'm leaving the country in about 5 hours and I was pretty confident I knew what I was doing was correct when it came to avoiding the steep charges for using data/roaming overseas.

Until I read how some people got surprise charges because they messed up?
My question is, which method is correct? All I want to do is be able to use iMessage/Skype without any charges while on wifi.

1) Settings, General, Cellular, turn cellular data off, turn voice and roaming to off. Continue using iMessage on wifi.

2) Switch phone to airplane mode, go to wifi, turn wifi on. Continue using iMessage.

Or just do both? Thanks for reading!

Cool MBA

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2014
South Africa
I'd go with the airplane mode off..i've done this a couple of times when travelling and no issues, same with colleagues i travelled with

melb00m

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Just switch off cellular data for roaming. It's disabled across the system then, no need to configure anything else.
iMessage and the like will check for new messages once you have an active WiFi connection.

EDIT: I just found out some U.S. carriers will charge you for incoming text messages when traveling. How crazy is that, it's completely out of your control. In that case, use airplane mode all the way and simply turn on WiFi afterwards. Still, make sure that data roaming is disabled as well, just in case you switch off airplane mode to make a call or something.

Chief87

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2014
Ireland!
Most surprise charges are probably rates for receiving calls and texts. Many people forget that you get charged to receive when abroad!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Option 2 (using Airplane mode with Wi-Fi on) is usually the way to go when all you need is Wi-Fi data basically.

JustinForest

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
After my personal travels abroad, I found the safest and simplest option is to trn airplane mode on and switch wi fi on after.

You've already stated this, but I will just confirm as another who has used that option.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
+1 on turn on airplane mode then manually enable wifi.

Mind, when I went on vacation last December, iMessage wouldn't work for me with airplane mode enabled. Kept asking me to turn off airplane mode when I try to open the Messages app. Thankfully, I had my number linked to my iPad and that was working fine.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
+1 on turn on airplane mode then manually enable wifi.

Mind, when I went on vacation last December, iMessage wouldn't work for me with airplane mode enabled. Kept asking me to turn off airplane mode when I try to open the Messages app. Thankfully, I had my number linked to my iPad and that was working fine.
As I recall you can dismiss that message and still use iMessage just fine (although you might run into that message multiple times as you leave/enter the Messages app).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.