Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macs4u

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Hi,

With OSX 10.10 offering the continuity features I have a few questions..

1: So if i have a macbook and my iPhone is in my pocket , as i open the macbook up it would automatically connect to my phone for the broadband as i have tethering on my contract.

2: Isn't the above feature going to make iPads with cellular redundant?

3: If i put my phone in the living room and had a mac mini and my macbook open , could i have them both pulling off my phone automatically? If so my home broadband could possibly be cancelled.

Matt

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Unless you have an absolutely unlimited cellular data plan, I wouldn't rely on that as your ONLY connection.

Yes, with iOS 8 on an iPad and an iPhone, my impression is that the cellular-data iPads could be a thing of the past.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Hi,

With OSX 10.10 offering the continuity features I have a few questions..

1: So if i have a macbook and my iPhone is in my pocket , as i open the macbook up it would automatically connect to my phone for the broadband as i have tethering on my contract.

2: Isn't the above feature going to make iPads with cellular redundant?

3: If i put my phone in the living room and had a mac mini and my macbook open , could i have them both pulling off my phone automatically? If so my home broadband could possibly be cancelled.

Matt

1) Yes - when you go to choose a Wi-Fi connection, your iPhone will automatically appear in the top as a connection option. You can choose this and as long as both the Mac and iPhone are signed into the same iCloud account, your computer will automatically pair with no further input required.

2) No - There are situations where an iPad may prove to be more beneficial than a desktop or laptop, depending on the user's needs. Keep in mind, you can already use your iPhone to make a hotspot connection on your Mac already (as well as with many Android and Windows Phone devices) and the feature has been available since the iPhone 4 and iOS 4.0. All that Yosemite is doing it removing the setup process (Normally you have to go into your phone settings, go under cellular, then choose to turn on your hotspot, set a SSID and Password, and then go on your Mac and log in with the password. All continuity is doing in this situation is making it a one-click setup instead of having to go through all those menus)

3) Yes - Keep in mind though that in order to use your iPhone as a hotspot you need to first have approval from your carrier. All 4 major carriers offer hotspot capability, and depending on what plan you have it may be included or it may be an additional cost. Also, unless you have unlimited data or high data package or you do not use the internet a lot on your computer, I would NOT recommend replacing your home broadband with tethering to your iPhone as you can use up your data limit VERY fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.