Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codeoverride

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Not sure how this happened but on OS X Airplay is displaying Apple TV as Apple TV (2). Please see image below.

148myqv.png

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That happened because your Apple TV saw a ghost of itself on your network and renamed itself to prevent using the ghost's name. To fix it, turn your Apple TV off and restart your router, then turn the Apple TV back on again.

codeoverride

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Thanks for the tip but it didn't work :( What did work was going into Apple TV settings and changing the name from Apple TV to one of the other options like Apple TV Living Room then changing it back :)

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I've been getting this behavior a lot more frequently for some reason - I haven't touched the network or device configurations. Go figure.

Note, I've seen Macs permanently change their network name due to this - so you need to change it back to what you want then reboot the network to make the change work.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The thing that usually causes Macs to do this is Wake on LAN. With 10.6, Apple changed it to support wireless networks causing this ghost device problem. You can uncheck "Wake on LAN" in the Energy Saver preference pane and that should stop it from happening to Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.