Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearwrestler

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2014
My personal taste usually reflects that of the past- 1960's for instance. Yet, there are some parts of our current culture that I really enjoy, yet would not confess to my friends:

I absolutely love Macklemore.

What's yours? (Not limited to music; movies, books, video games, fashions, etc. are all fair game)

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I don't feel guilty in any pleasure I enjoy.

Having said that, I thoroughly enjoy Metal music. About 9 out of 10 people are rather shocked when I tell them and they immediately look at me different as if I'm a serial killer or something. It's really more of a shock factor I think, I'm generally in more ritzy social situations dressed up and look sharp. I'm not a typical metalhead...I don't color my hair, paint my nails (as some men do), don't have piercings or tattoos, don't wear typical clothes a metalhead would, etc. But then I soften the blow by telling them I really enjoy Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Maybe I live a boring life, but I don't have anything that I would qualify as "guilty pleasures"

I like a wide variety of music, and have other interest, if I like it, I do it.

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
Memo: A Slower Seesaw!
Speaking of music, I guess you'd say Trance. I have a ton of it and no one I know likes it. It more or less regarded as dumb or stupid "rave" music.

Their loss. More music for me!

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Star Trek. But I can guess by my username that you all could guess that one.

Music: I Hate rap, but I like listening to eminem on rare occasion
Movies: I cried during the opening sequence of Disney's Tarzan.
Books: I enjoyed James Patterson's romance novels, "Suzanne's Diary for Nicolas" and "Sam's Letters to Jennifer"

I'm exposed now. Laugh.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, one of my 'guilty pleasures' are spaghetti westerns.

I just love them. I love the baroque nature of the gratuitous and wonderfully choreographed violence, the arid, baking landscapes (I detests studio bound westerns), shot in the light of a searing, white hot sun, the slightly sinister yet wonderfully gripping music, the cheerfully utterly amoral plots, the iconic yet clichéd characters…….the cinematography, well, while many if not most of my other leisure pursuits are unashamedly highbrow, yes, I must confess that I love spaghetti westerns.

However, I do not view my great affection for much of the Star Trek franchise as a guilty pleasure, because it ties in with other, serious interests; in general, I am interested in space, and fascinated by space exploration and discoveries, & related scientific advances, and devour books and articles about such things; Star Trek is just a fictional off shoot of this interest, and I simply enjoy it.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Watching any movie with Mickey Rourke in it.

He's so nuts, with the hair, and the hats, and the goofy mannerisms...and I can't take my eyes off him.

Terrible...but there it is...:eek:

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Chuck Klosterman wrote an awesome sum up of what a Guilty Pleasure is in Killing Yourself to Live. It was something along the lines of, "a guilty pleasure is something you pretend to like ironically, but actually just like".

That resonated a lot with me, and so I make no bones about what I like anymore.

So I love my Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dragon Ball Z, Twisted Sister songs from my youth, Gilmore Girls, the movie Blood Sport, the first 4 Rocky movies and Rambo, and a whole lot more. None of it is a guilty pleasure. Just things I like.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I think "guilty pleasure" is properly defined as liking something that is intellectually or culturally "uncool" - and yet that still achieves a level of excellence in its own right.

I guess my "guilty pleasures" include things like the music of Karen Carpenter and the novels of Bernard Cornwell. Nobody is going to mistake them for high art, or the height of arriviste fashion. But they are, IMHO, very well done, immensely enjoyable. And I don't give a hoot what other people think of them - since I can usually enjoy them on my own, without inflicting them on anyone else.

To restate this: Guilty Pleasures don't have to be hip. They do have to be good. This means its OK to like Steven King novels. But the Boondock Saints movies? They are just outright garbage.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I still fail to understand your logic here. Oh well. :)

It's because NPR and jazz are, apparently, old fart stuff. Both require a modicum concentration not endemic to the "younger" crowd whose idea of an extended and analytical news story is anything beyond 140 characters, or 30 seconds, long.

And jazz requires one to actually listen and (gasp) sometimes even think.

Apparently the poster feels that most 25 year olds don't do that...:p

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What does the premise of "guilty pleasures" mean anyway? Is that like taking pleasure in something that is illegal, or even immoral or maybe unhealthy?

Regardless, I've never thought of anything in my life in those terms. But I have a passion for good movies, great food and um, there is something else I think..... What is it? ........Hmmmmmmm..................... Oh! I remember now! I also like coffee. ☕

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
What does the premise of "guilty pleasures" mean anyway? Is that like taking pleasure in something that is illegal, or even immoral or maybe unhealthy?

Regardless, I've never thought of anything in my life in those terms. But I have a passion for good movies, great food and um, there is something else I think..... What is it? ........Hmmmmmmm..................... Oh! I remember now! I also like coffee. ☕

See Post# 9 for a guilty pleasure. Mickey Rourke is so bad most folks avoid his stuff like the plague. If I had any taste at all...I would ,too. That's what makes it a guilty pleasure.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
It's because NPR and jazz are, apparently, old fart stuff. Both require a modicum concentration not endemic to the "younger" crowd whose idea of an extended and analytical news story is anything beyond 140 characters, or 30 seconds, long.

And jazz requires one to actually listen and (gasp) sometimes even think.

Apparently the poster feels that most 25 year olds don't do that...:p

Sure, but why feel guilty about it? Most 25 year olds can sod off...;)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I’d say this user nailed it:

See Post# 9 for a guilty pleasure. Mickey Rourke is so bad most folks avoid his stuff like the plague. If I had any taste at all...I would ,too. That's what makes it a guilty pleasure.

Well, in that case, I'd have to go with liking "geeky stuff." That, generally, isn't much of an issue around here on MR, but my friends and co-workers think I'm a dork for liking a bunch of science-fiction stuff.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Mine would have to be listening to CarTalk. I have no idea what I get out of it, but I like listening to it. Currently have a back log of 300+ episodes to go through. That and reading Wikipedia in droves for hours on end (at work of course).

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles

I've always interpreted it that "I love it, but I probably shouldn't" such as someone who's trying to lose weight eat a piece of cake. Or liking a particular artist / movie....so maybe there's some real buff biker out there with tattoos, piercings, and enjoys listening to Madonna when he's alone.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've always interpreted it that "I love it, but I probably shouldn't" such as someone who's trying to lose weight eat a piece of cake. Or liking a particular artist / movie....so maybe there's some real buff biker out there with tattoos, piercings, and enjoys listening to Madonna when he's alone.

Now that's a good and funny example!
tongue.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.