Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Do you think iOS 8 will be a step forwards in these aspects when it releases?
I'm considering just staying on iOS 7 because I'm totally happy with it.

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2009
So far Beta 3 has been more stable for myself on the iPhone 5. There are a couple of bugs, but nothing that would require me to go back to 7.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Do you think iOS 8 will be a step forwards in these aspects when it releases?
I'm considering just staying on iOS 7 because I'm totally happy with it.

My thoughts:

3G: good on iPhone OS 2. A little slow on iPhone OS 3. Apparently very slow on iOS 4.
3GS: apparently good on iPhone OS 3, 4, 5, and 6 (didn't have one, just from reading)
4: good on iOS 4 and 5. Slow on iOS 6 and 7 (probably because of the 4x resolution increase over 3GS)
4S: good on iOS 5, 6 and 7.

The 3GS/4S are significantly faster than the 3G/4, so I'd expect them to progress similarly (as did the 3G and 4). I think the 4S will get iOS 8 and run it acceptably well. The 5 and 5S should run iOS 8 with no problem at all.

For battery I don't think you'll see a decrease. The only significant drop I experienced was in iOS 7, probably because it was such a big change.

-----------

If you're happy with iOS 7, I say stick with it. I'm considering doing the same. Plus if I ever decide to jailbreak it again, I'll always have that option. I kept my dad's iPhone 4 on iOS 5 and I'm glad I did. My mom's 4 on iOS 6/7 is much, much slower. If I had kept my 5 on iOS 6 I'd be missing out on some nice graphics but I'd also have 3 hours more battery usage every charge...

Last edited:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Nobody can say with certainty until it's released. Apple wants to continue to improve the user experience. I'd say they aren't doing a very good job but that's off topic. :)

A nice thing about iOS 8 is that it shows what application or process is using the battery so there will be less mystery around it. I hope it's accurate (meaning background apps are metered instead of their process showing up as Lock Screen).

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
If anyone is curious, performance of beta 3 on the 1st gen iPad mini seems more or less identical to the performance of it on 7.1.2.

iphone5s2013

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2013
r7qyAt.png

How about this battery life?

Thanks

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
good thing ya blocked out your carrier lol;):D:p

Haha, I had the same thought. Your carrier identity is just so incredibly confidential! :p

I'm not optimistic about huge improvements in battery life. There haven't been any corresponding improvements in battery technology, at least none that I've heard.

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
I probably will wait a few months to upgrade to iOS 8. They always seems to release fixes very shortly after big updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.