Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Hi,
Is it possible to use an Ipod 7th generation on 10.4 (Power PC)? I can't use the latest version of Itunes but are there any other software that can be used to add music? Or will I just have to ask my sister to do it on her more recent Mac?...

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
It's possible. iTunes 9.2.1 is the last version to run on Tiger, and it was last updated in 2010. The current generation iPod classic (7th) came out in late 2009, so it should be compatible. However, later software updates to the iPod may have made this untrue.

On Apple's site it specifies iTunes 10.7 or later, and OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard (Intel only).

Officially, no it won't work. But it might.
You could also pick up a 5th gen iPod video that would work with it. I bought a couple. One I put a CF Card in, the other, a 120GB HDD. For less than the cost of a new Classic that I also have. I have an iBook on Tiger and the current classic to test with, but the iBook's DC board is shot for the moment, and I can't locate the charger :rolleyes:

lazyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

It definitely doesn't work with iTunes. I've been given the iPod so I can't really switch for a 5th gen one.

I was wondering if there were any other software that could be used to add music. I know they exist on Linux. I've tried a couple but I've been unsuccessful so far...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.