Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
So I pretty much dropped my phone and its got spider web cracks now but I honestly don't mind that much.

I feel like Im just gonna wait it out till the 6 in a couple months.

Sure I could go ahead and get a new screen for 40$ bucks and install it but I don't even really mind. Normally I would have done that but nah... Its no rush, its still usable and I can take care of my tasks...

I guess this signifies that I am kind of over the whole notion that the device is something precious or neat and its just a utility finally.

It took me years to get to this level.

Ravenis

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2014
Right on.

I take it you don't have AC+ on the iPhone. Would be worth replacing it for 79$ then selling it to offset the cost for the new i6

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
So I pretty much dropped my phone and its got spider web cracks now but I honestly don't mind that much.

I feel like Im just gonna wait it out till the 6 in a couple months.

Sure I could go ahead and get a new screen for 40$ bucks and install it but I don't even really mind. Normally I would have done that but nah... Its no rush, its still usable and I can take care of my tasks...

I guess this signifies that I am kind of over the whole notion that the device is something precious or neat and its just a utility finally.

It took me years to get to this level.

I doubt you'd have this same attitude if you dropped your 6. :D

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I don't care about scratches and scuffs that much, but I'd DIY the screen replacement if I cracked it. You're in a good place though if you can live with that.

Exactly... like Im not even tripping about it.

In the past it was devastating...

Now I can't even be bothered.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
There's a free recall/service for that. Tell him to take it into a Apple Store.

We went to the Apple store. It would have to be sent out for 7 days and completely erased. They would give him a loaner, but he's not interested in going through the process.

Not necessarily free given that it's a 5 and might be out of warranty.

Amex might cover it through extended warranty protection if it was purchased with Amex (or equivalent).

Right. It's only for certain serial numbered units.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not necessarily free given that it's a 5 and might be out of warranty.

Amex might cover it through extended warranty protection if it was purchased with Amex (or equivalent).
It doesn't have to be under warranty for this recall, but it does have to fall under the units that are being recalled (which are limited to some particular model numbers, although quite a few still).

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
It doesn't have to be under warranty for this recall, but it does have to fall under the units that are being recalled (which are limited to some particular model numbers, although quite a few still).

I actually had this happen within the first month I got my first iPhone 5 and they swapped it out...

Brb get a pin with glue on it and secrete some in the gap of the button and get it to be "sticky" and boom.... new phone...

Maybe a 5S if I haggle...

But even that seems like waayyy too much work...

GUYS, my screen is cracked but I honestly don't mind much! I think this paradigm shift happened with iOS 7... It was the ultimate thing that inspired me to care about functionality and give up hope of new eye candy... and now I just kinda use it.

Or maybe the fact the competition has all the nice screens, at this time I can't see this as a premium experience and treasure like I saw it as once upon a time.

With the iPhone 6 Jumbo I think that will change probably. I will feel once again that I am experiencing the best of the best tech in my hands.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
The ear piece on my iPhone 4 broke the other day. I was accualy happy cuz now my parents can't bother me with their phone calls until December when I get a iPhone 6 :D

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Anyone know somewhere that sells sapphire replacement screens for iPhone 5!?

Then I can sell it as a modded iPhone 5 with future tech!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.