Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jclo

Managing Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
So far the 4.7-inch iPhone 6's front panel has survived bending and scratching, but it can't hold up to the weight of a car. It does seem to survive fire, though.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Im kinda excited. Especially the scratching is legit legit.

Probably dropping it too.

Supposedly gorilla is less likely to crack but i don't know.... it looks like sapphire is very shatter proof, even more so. And my iPhone 5 glass broke from a 4 foot drop the other day soo.... it probably wouldn't be broke right now if it was the sapphire.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I mean a car is what tons compared to an iPhone screen. Regardless if its sapphire glass or not, I wouldn't expect anything to not get destroyed by a car.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
So Far

Apple is not being hurt by this: backing a two-ton car over the sapphire glass shatters it. Well, the rest of the phone is crushed too. Something's gonna bend if a Corolla runs it over.

It will have some failure points. But the tests it passes are the ones you really want to see. No scratching that makes the phone hard to use. Ugly. I wonder how it does with finger-grease?

I must have dropped my iPhone 5 25 times or so, no breaks.

A friend of mine forgot he had his iPad mini in his back pocket when he was getting into the car. Glass and camera not working. The Genius, out of warranty, sold my friend a whole refurb of a 64 GB mini that sold for about $700, for $219. Not bad. That would have broken no matter what material the glass was made of.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Sapphire is harder than gorilla glass. This means it will be more scratch resistant but easier to crack or shatter.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
So far the 4.7-inch iPhone 6's front panel has survived bending and scratching, but it can't hold up to the weight of a car. It does seem to survive fire, though.

WELL THAT'S IT THEN. I'm totally not buying this! It's too fragile. Steve would've allowed this!! :rolleyes:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
These things should be able to survive a nuclear bomb, and be waterproof to 1000m. Anything less is just rubbish.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
The stress test videos so far are good and all but there's a rather large difference once glass is surrounded by a metal or plastic frame depending on the phone... I know they usually have a rubber gasket or something around it, too but the weight of the phone plus the material surrounding the glass leads to a very different dispersal of energy when it's exposed to drops. That's the big difference. The impact is actually intensified quite a lot compared to when it's not inside of a frame. That being said, I'm very interested in seeing the drop tests of a new iPhone with a sapphire front glass.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Do we have any sort of proof that this is actually an iPhone 6 front glass? I mean, it could be anything, really.

It would be awesome if it is indeed the iPhone 6 front grass because it is durable, but these tests don't mean anything unless we actually know that it is.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Do we have any sort of proof that this is actually an iPhone 6 front glass? I mean, it could be anything, really.

Yup, that's also true. We don't even know that it's actually sapphire, for that matter. People have keyed and banged sharp edges on gorilla glass and gotten similar results. This could well be an off-the-line piece of glass for some other current or upcoming device, and and we have no way of knowing for sure.

nerdAFK

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2014
Note to self: Don't carry iPhone 6 in pocket with sandpaper.

You are not getting the point.

Current Gorilla Glass is prone to sand, which is made of quartz, a very hard material.
That's why we need sandpaper to test.

And your pocket has more sands than you realize.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
You are not getting the point.

Current Gorilla Glass is prone to sand, which is made of quartz, a very hard material.
That's why we need sandpaper to test.

And your pocket has more sands than you realize.

I got the point just fine. Not a scratch on any iPhone I've owned since 2007.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.