Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidgroyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Hey!
A few years ago, I updated my 333 Mhz iMac G3 (tray loader) to OS X 10.2 from 10.0 without updating the firmware (stupidly), and it had the infamous black screen problem, so it was put into the garage.

But I had an epiphany, if I insert a Mac OS 9.2 install disk, will it boot? After the incident and pressed the reset button on the side and changed the PRAM battery, could this effect my chances of it working?

I don't have any other PPC macs left to install OS 9 to the hard drive without it doing it itself.

I would just like to know if I have any chance of it working because I don't want to carry the heavy thing up to my apartment with no success of it working.

Thank you!

catzilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2013
Rhode Island
I had to fix that awhile ago, IIRC it involved an old floppy drive cable plugged into a logic board connector with jumpers on the other end, and a monitor hooked into the VGA port which your model doesn't have. There may be a way do it blind, but I don't remember that, sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.