Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dezlboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
While replacing my dead hard drive a small metal piece fell on my worktable. I think it fell out of the old drive, but maybe from the mac mini itself (late 2009 model, A1283).

The metal piece is silver, thickness of a dime, roughly square, and about 1/4 inch (at the most) on all sides. No holes, prongs, adhesive, connectors, etc. Just a small hunk of metal.

I haven't put the mini back together yet to see what isn't (??) working. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
It almost sounds like a BIOS battery. It keeps the time correct when computer is off.

That is my best guess.

I am more familiar with a PC which would work without the battery, but would need the time and some settings reset each time the computer was turned on.

Just an educated guess. Good luck.

Dezlboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Cape Dave, iPhil,

The battery is in its holder. But appreciate the reply!

This piece is much smaller. It's almost the size of a letter on my iPhone 4 keypad.

It also fits inside Lincoln's head on a penny, and is just a bit thicker than a penny.

I'll try to post a photo in about ten hours, when I'll have access to computer.

Last edited:

Dezlboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    93 KB · Views: 1,403

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
There are always a few extra parts in all electronics that are not REALLY necessary.

Well, that's what I figure, since whenever I take anything apart there are parts left over...:eek:

Dezlboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
HAHAHA! to everyone. Great responses! :p

When my "replacement" temperature sensor arrives, and I get the mini put back together, I'll let you all know. If it works, I'm going to put the metal piece up for auction at eBay!

Dezlboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Hi All, Just to close the loop. Mini up and running, without that Little Silver Thing. Thanks for taking your time to help me out.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
OK - It's a spacer that keeps some section of the board aligned, but was never really attached well. When you pulled the board out it came loose.

If you inspect it under high magnification, you might see some faint remnant of adhesive on one side-or not ;)

That's my guess - fun thread

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.