Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocat1997

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Fort Worth
une3uhy9.jpg

Was searching for hair salons in my area. This is what Apple maps came back with.
Apple is not listening.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
Search on Apple maps is the biggest problem. Where I live, if I need to get correct address, I need enter full without mistakes address and also postcode...while with other apps there is enough first 3-5 letters...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
What does Google maps do?

I know both Google and Apple maps failed me big time when I was trying to get to a business off 70 in Smithfield a couple of weeks back. It took me all over, extended my route by a good 15 miles. Turns out it is 35 minutes from my house…not an hour and 5 minutes.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I sometimes, if not even often, run into an issue or looking for a street address or even a business and the suggestions that would come up would be from other states or places that are far away, even though when finishing inputting the exact local address or business name it usually finds it. So it knows about the local places usually but somehow can't quite suggest them properly in a lot of cases for some reason and instead goes for places far away. Kind of strange.

rocat1997

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Fort Worth
Yes that is exactly what happened to me. Apple needs to refine this. Their are things the iphone does great. Love the look of the maps. Just hate the search.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
When it comes to businesses use Google. They are an ad company, they should excel at it vs a hardware company such as Apple.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I saw this thread a few days ago. To the OP, I laughed it off as sheer, utter BS. I didn't have time to try it out for myself, so I didn't dismiss it but it was good for a laugh.

So, yesterday I got a haircut - from my friend Dan, who owns a small shop here in Portland named "Hair on Broadway", even though he's not on Broadway any more. So, I talked with him again today, and again this thread came to mind so I searched for "hair" as you did with some time to kill, and was hoping to find Dan's business - but, I was transported to Cairo as you were.

I also tried it out on my iPhone 5 that has iOS 8 installed on it, and the results are similar, but the results are even better - located near the intersection of Abd El Salam Aref and Mohamed Sedqy Basha. I'm submitting a bug report to Apple. But, I have to run - I need a trim of my beard, but I guess I have to catch a flight first... :rolleyes:

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
google maps is HORRIBLE! its worse than apple maps. if you use the beta voice function, it doesn't talk until you are wayyy past a turn, and even without the voice feature, it lags behind by about 50 ft. a big deal if you are in a city trying to be somewhere on time...

macbook yes

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
I just moved to a new city, and apple maps has gotten me lost every time I try to use it. The only time I use apple maps instead of google maps is when I'm using Siri, but I guess I'll just have to learn to use google maps and look down at my phone really quickly while I'm driving. Google maps hasn't worked for voice for me in a long time.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
google maps is HORRIBLE! its worse than apple maps. if you use the beta voice function, it doesn't talk until you are wayyy past a turn, and even without the voice feature, it lags behind by about 50 ft. a big deal if you are in a city trying to be somewhere on time...
Interesting, I consistently have that "lag" experience with Apple Maps, but have never had it with Google Maps. Haven't had any voice issues with either one though.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I just moved to a new city, and apple maps has gotten me lost every time I try to use it. The only time I use apple maps instead of google maps is when I'm using Siri, but I guess I'll just have to learn to use google maps and look down at my phone really quickly while I'm driving. Google maps hasn't worked for voice for me in a long time.

iOS 8 will ask you if you want to use Apple Maps or Google Maps.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

What do you mean by beta voice function?

I've been using Google maps for a while (5-8 times a day, 6-7 days a week for work) and have not had it's voice lag behind where I did or was supposed to turn.

I did kind of wish it would say "rerouting" or "recalculating". Sometimes when I miss a turn if I'm not paying attention it reroutes so quickly I don't even know I screwed up. But the point is if I need to double back I'd like to know it because sometimes it's just as easy to pop a uturn then drive around.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Hmmm, me too. I typed in Hair, and rather than any of the million & one hair salons in Edinburgh, I was offered driving directions to Cairo.

Cool and useful.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
This is a new feature. Apple has realized that the world's best hair stylists all live in Cairo, Egypt. This is why it advises you to travel to Egypt for your hair cut.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Maybe people in Cairo are known for having great hair, and that's why maps took you there.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
When it comes to businesses use Google. They are an ad company, they should excel at it vs a hardware company such as Apple.

Apple is the one venturing on to the "maps business" which requires businesses and POI's that shouldn't excuse them from criticisms

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.