Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diaspar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
Bristol, UK
I recently installed Mavericks on my 2011-era iMac and hated the new Pages (5.2) so much I've gone back to using the previous version (4.3). The problem is, when I open a Pages file (even one I haven't "upgraded"), Pages 5.2 is the one that opens. I've put Pages 4.3 in my dock and I can open it directly and navigate to a file, but I'd rather just be able to click the files on my desktop like I've always done and have them open in the version of Pages I want.

How do I make the version I want the default one? Barring that, is it safe to just delete the new version? Can I re-install it from the App Store if/when I decide I want it?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Only way is to delete the new version.

Sadly the "Always Open With" Command does not work for whatever reason with iWork files.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Barring that, is it safe to just delete the new version? Can I re-install it from the App Store if/when I decide I want it?

Yes, that is what I did also. However, be prepared to be annoyed by Mac App Store update notices for the new Pages, etc. I haven't found a way to prevent them unfortunately, but it's a small price to pay to be able to use the better version of Pages.

Diaspar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
Bristol, UK
I already deleted the new versions but if the nagging gets too much I'll download them again and try this. :D

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I already deleted the new versions but if the nagging gets too much I'll download them again and try this. :D

I just finished doing this and it works, I tested '09 Pages, checked MAS Updates and there are zero apps to be updated, yay! Really glad that DeltaMac posted a link to this work around. :cool:

Diaspar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
Bristol, UK
My system started nagging me this morning so I gave that work-around a try. Updated Pages and Numbers, then shoved the new versions onto the external HD that hosts my Time Machine backups. Then I copied '09 Pages and Numbers back into the main Applications folder. At first both documents and spreadsheets were trying to open in Preview but after a couple of restarts it started doing what I wanted.

Thanks so much for that clever trick, DeltaMac! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.