Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Teddysjam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
my wife and son have one this is my 1st, always had android or blackberry. I've been intrigued by the new iphone 6 coming out in a few months. My contract is up in October and instead of buying one and never using one didn't want to be locked in for 2yrs with a phone I may not like plus when iphone 6 comes out I'm assuming it may be a few months before they readily become available to the masses I bought an iPhone 5s gold 16gb. Should be here by wed looking forward to it. As a new iphone member is there anything I should be aware of or need to do when I get it?

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
my wife and son have one this is my 1st, always had android or blackberry. I've been intrigued by the new iphone 6 coming out in a few months. My contract is up in October and instead of buying one and never using one didn't want to be locked in for 2yrs with a phone I may not like plus when iphone 6 comes out I'm assuming it may be a few months before they readily become available to the masses I bought an iPhone 5s gold 16gb. Should be here by wed looking forward to it. As a new iphone member is there anything I should be aware of or need to do when I get it?

Coming from android it will make you NUTS at first, especially the lack of a "back" button. Stick with it, it will take about 6 weeks to really have everything down so it feels intuitive, and then you'll be in love, though always slightly irritated with Apple. It's not unlike marriage.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Welcome. The main thing you need to do... hang in there until iOS 8 comes out in the fall! You'll get it as a free update, and it brings some nice Androidy features (widgets, keyboards, new inter-app sharing) that Android did first in a non-secure way... but Apple has been quietly building the security model to do them right!

As for Back--it's always top-left of the screen... except when a developer gets cute and puts it at top-right (often called Done or just an X) :mad: :p

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

Got the same 16GB Gold 5S for my parents and they love it. I only wish I would've gotten them a 32GB, even though, I don't think they will use the extra space. Something to think about during your trial period if you're able to exchange up.

Jaguarr40

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
Sarasota, Florida
I agree that once you get the IOS fever, You will actually be glad you did when you see how fluid it is, How simple and easy it is to learn and most of all how the customer service is top notch if you ever need it. Once you get it, Come on back and we will be happy to help you with any questions you have.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You may dislike it at first. Give it time and remember its a different OS. If you try to run it like Android you'll only end up frustrated. The opposite applies going from iOS to Android.

You'll find some features missing but most are replaced with other features which you may find better or worse. Its subjective if you like them more.

My father has a Motorola Android phone, not sure which. But there are a lot of features I think are really useful that the iPhone lacks (like not pressing buttons to see notifications on the lock screen, silent alerts when face down, etc). But he also says the same thing about some of my iPhones features.

Indian Devil

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2014
I want to buy 5s as well as i dont want a bigger screen but will wait till the iphone 6 is out so that i can see how much its bigger than the current model, if its about the same i might get 6 else 5s which will hopefully be about 8k-10k (Indian Ruppees) cheaper by then.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
Coming from android it will make you NUTS at first, especially the lack of a "back" button. Stick with it, it will take about 6 weeks to really have everything down so it feels intuitive, and then you'll be in love, though always slightly irritated with Apple. It's not unlike marriage.

Hilarious and so, so true.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

If you can use a blackberry and Android you will be up and running in a few days. Plus you have family with them.
My first iPhone was after 4 Blackberrys although i had a iPad. I just got a Silver 16Gb 5S a few weeks ago after ditching the latest 2 flagship android phones. If you like it and want the new one you can always sell and like you said you can wait till things die down with IP6.
We started with Apple iMacs, then iPads, iPhones, MacBooks, Apple TV. Their after sales service is second to none.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
As a long time Android user, I started using iOS devices this year. You can check out these threads I started regarding my opinion of iOS:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1752512/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1738579/

Overall, I would say that iOS has a better and smoother web browsing experience than Android. For most everything else, there isn't much noticeable difference. Most apps are available on both platforms. There will be some that aren't available cross platform. Some apps have rather different functionality for whatever reason. The lack of a universal back button is the most annoying thing. Things are different, but you will get used to it. Android will have more functionality and depending on what features us use, you may or may not miss it going to iOS.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
As a long time Android user, I started using iOS devices this year. You can check out these threads I started regarding my opinion of iOS:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1752512/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1738579/

Overall, I would say that iOS has a better and smoother web browsing experience than Android. For most everything else, there isn't much noticeable difference. Most apps are available on both platforms. There will be some that aren't available cross platform. Some apps have rather different functionality for whatever reason. The lack of a universal back button is the most annoying thing. Things are different, but you will get used to it. Android will have more functionality and depending on what features us use, you may or may not miss it going to iOS.

One thing I wish iOS browsers had that some Android browsers have is automatic text reflow when zooming in. Puffin browser has "text reflow" but it's not the same implementation.

Teddysjam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Thanks for everyones feedback and info, i will post my thoughts once I have phone in hand hopefully wed no later then Thursday and get to play with it. Looking forward to it. The seller included An otterbox and water proof both black which is good for work but looking for an alternative when not working looking for an clear case to show phone off the gold 5S like a luvvitt or spingen with a little protection. I'll look in the accessories forum for people's thoughts.

Last edited:

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
One thing I wish iOS browsers had that some Android browsers have is automatic text reflow when zooming in. Puffin browser has "text reflow" but it's not the same implementation.

I found that I don't need or use any browser with text reflow anymore. My old HTC phone's default browser did that, but I used Opera Mini instead as Opera Mini was faster. I don't recall every wanting text reflow on my GS3. The text was always a good size for me to read. I may need to zoom in onto the column of text to make it bigger, but never needed to zoom in more than a line of text would fit on the screen.

Occasionally on iOS, I had to turn my phone or tablet to landscape orientation in order for the text to be zoomed in enough so I can read it and ensure that a line of text does not exceed the width of the screen. There are times where if I am in portrait orientation, a line of text is too small to read if I want the line of text to fit in the width of the screen. I do find this annoying. On my Android phones or tablets, I don't recall ever having to turn my phone sideways in order to read a line of text and to keep the line from extending past the edge of the screen.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Take some time to get to know the phone - it will pay off later. My family are too impatient and don't do this, then they complain they can't do something on the iPhone. Then typically one of their 'droid friends pipes up about how easy it is on Android, and I get an earful about how 'limited' the iPhone is.

Teddysjam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Well it's been 2 days so far with iphone, really enjoying it so far seems a lot more smoother then my android I had, plus on certain apps I like the set up better then on other phone. Getting used to always wanting to hit back button and not being there. Lol. Still got a lot to learn but having a blast with this phone was just practicing for iphone 6 but having such a good experience and this being so new to me I might just wait on the 6s. Lol

joshkhaos1

Suspended
Jul 24, 2014
You will find that on iOS you wont have to "baby" your phone as much as you did your Android, and everything just works better. What I mean by baby it is like on Android I'm sure you had times where you like "What the heck is wrong with my phon?" and you went into settings, and my device, and looked at the ram usage. You probably cleared out your applications many times a day, etc. You wont have to do all of that on iOS. You still have to kill your apps every once in a while, but not like you do on Android.

iOS is definitely a more polished OS. It just doesn't have as many of the bells and whistles that Android has, but that's not as big of a deal to one person as it is to another.

Well it's been 2 days so far with iphone, really enjoying it so far seems a lot more smoother then my android I had, plus on certain apps I like the set up better then on other phone. Getting used to always wanting to hit back button and not being there. Lol. Still got a lot to learn but having a blast with this phone was just practicing for iphone 6 but having such a good experience and this being so new to me I might just wait on the 6s. Lol

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
You will find that on iOS you wont have to "baby" your phone as much as you did your Android, and everything just works better. What I mean by baby it is like on Android I'm sure you had times where you like "What the heck is wrong with my phon?" and you went into settings, and my device, and looked at the ram usage. You probably cleared out your applications many times a day, etc. You wont have to do all of that on iOS. You still have to kill your apps every once in a while, but not like you do on Android.

iOS is definitely a more polished OS. It just doesn't have as many of the bells and whistles that Android has, but that's not as big of a deal to one person as it is to another.

To be fair, you don't have to do that with the high end Android phones anymore, but I will agree that iOS RAM management is fantastic.

FrozenInferno

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013

The 5S is a great phone, personally I have no incentive to upgrade until AT LEAST the 6S.

As time goes on you'll appreciate more and more about the iPhone. Coming from Android you'll be happy to get all of your iOS updates the DAY they release, no waiting for the manufacturer and carrier to load their custom skins and bloatware before finally seeding it out months later, and that's IF they bother putting together an update for your particular phone. With the power of the 5S you are probably good for at least two or three more years of fully functional iOS updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.