Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Hi, Some of my work (some android development stuff) requires me to have java 6 and java 7 to be installed on my Mac. I'm not a pro in java or android development. I'm worried about the security level of my mac as I have read that java creates security holes. Is disabling java internet plugin from Safari enough to avoid any security issues that the java installations could cause?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi, Some of my work (some android development stuff) requires me to have java 6 and java 7 to be installed on my Mac. I'm not a pro in java or android development. I'm worried about the security level of my mac as I have read that java creates security holes. Is disabling java internet plugin from Safari enough to avoid any security issues that the java installations could cause?

Yes it is. You can have Java installed for use by local Java apps without enabling the Internet plugin and you will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.