Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
...I've been thinking about exploring some lightening photography, but unsure about what else is out there. Thoughts?

The classic method for lightening photography that people have used for about 100 years does not require any trigger. You simply leave the shutter open and hope for lightening, or fire works. If none happens, close the shutter and try again. With film this used to be expensive because you get 100 shots of a blank sky. The trick is in knowing how long you can keep the shutter open before you over expose the sky and it no longer looks dark. Maybe you have to stop down to f/8 or so and go for 2 seconds, then just fire off many 2 second exposures one after the other. zero cost or maybe it is f/16 and 4 seconds or whatever works

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
You might consider the TriggerTrap Ada. The kickstarter campaign is over, and I'm not sure when it will be released. But they already have a GREAT product in the original TriggerTrap, although it doesn't do lightning (but it does do timelapse, which can be helpful in capturing lightning).

Given their excellent history with the original unit, I expect the Ada to be great. It will be modular, so that additional sensor modules can be added. They plan on a lightning module, laser, sound and motion (wildlife).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.