Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thepartydj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
I have a completed app and needs some advice. I want to sell my app to businesses who will then give the app (customized with the business logo) away for free to only their customers. The app is currently on Itunes and Google Play. Have you done something similar? Help me in learning how I can do this. (I already have companies who want it, just don't know how to deploy it)
Thanks for your help!

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
You could give them the source code (project files) and let them submit the app themselves or you could modify it with their graphics and submit the app under your account.

The problem with you keeping the app under your account is that you have to maintain that for as long as the contract is good. You could charge an annual fee to cover that.

If you give them the source code, you could have a contact so they can't sell it to others.

There might be a different way that I don't know about, maybe someone else will chime in.

thepartydj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
Thanks for your reply. The source code option won't be a viable one because the businesses I will be selling it to won't have knowledge or anyone on staff to manage the app, submit to the app store, or manage the information the customers will put into the app. So, yes there will be an annual fee for maintenance and upgrades.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
These business can't restrict an iOS app to only their customers (except for a very small number of customers on an annual support basis). It has to be available in the App store for everybody. That's Apple's way for apps on iOS devices.

If that's ok, what you can do is to have each customer to enroll as an iOS developer themselves. You can charge a nice annual consulting fee for helping them to do this this as a service, since it's unlikely they can figure out how to do it themselves. Then customize branded apps and submit these apps for the clients using their developer accounts (not yours). Make sure each customer (or their legal department) understands all the App store contracts and legal agreements, and gives you a contract authorizing you to do the stuff you do for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.