Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purplecheetah23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
I bought the Sims 2 and after I realized that it wasn't supported by a 21.5-inch, Mid 2010 Mac, I contacted Aspyr support and they suggested to partition my disk. What size AND format would you recommend for the sims 2, and why won't my Mac let me partition my disk....?

Thanks!​

Nov 28, 2010
located
You mean, you need to install Windows? If so, use the Boot Camp Assistant in your Utilities folder to create a sizeable partition, 100 GB should be more than enough for installing Windows and Sims game, maybe even 25 GB will suffice, if that is your only game for Windows.

Read up on many of the guides on how to install Windows on a Mac and you should be good to go.

Or do you mean something else with "wasn't supported by a 21.5 inch, Mid 2010 Mac"?

PS: Centring your post does not make it easier to read.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I bought the Sims 2 and after I realized that it wasn't supported by a 21.5-inch, Mid 2010 Mac, I contacted Aspyr support and they suggested to partition my disk. What size AND format would you recommend for the sims 2, and why won't my Mac let me partition my disk....?

Thanks!​

That game will only run under Snow Leopard as it uses a PowerPC emulator to run. I'm guessing you have updated beyond Snow Leopard and that is your problem.

If you still have your original OEM Snow Leopard discs (I believe that is what came with your iMac), you could shrink the existing main partition then add a new Mac OS Extended partition and install Snow Leopard there. Then option key boot to the new Snow Leopard partition and install and run the game there.

I would allow around 10GB plus whatever the install size is for the game. Maybe that is non the box or you could call Aspyr and ask.

I suspect this is what they were getting at.

Make sure you do a good backup before you do this in case things go badly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.