Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barimike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
Hello wise mac community! I need your help in figuring out whether a MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air is a better purchase based on my needs.

I'm a music educator and plan to use my MacBook for presentations (PowerPoint, Video projects) music writing (Finale) and some music editing (taking recordings of my students/ensembles and doing simple editing, occasional garage band projects).

This is actually going to be my first Mac machine. I've been a diehard PC enthusiast and still have my home machine, but I've given up the fight as for music and education, everything good is designed for Mac. Because it's not really my main machine, I don't need the MacBook to be all powerful (and by extension, expensive); I just need it to handle all my school needs as a teacher and a grad student.

So far I'm leaning towards either a rMBP 13" 8gig, base hd. But if that seems like overkill, perhaps a MacBook Air with slightly better upgrades.

Seriously, any input is greatly appreciated (as long as it isn't mean).

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I've got a music educator in my family still using an '08 MacBook (they last). I almost bought the Air but changed my mind to the 13" retina MBP mid tier model (8/256) with the student discount.

Reasons are:
The screen, it is much much higher res and sharper. And it's covered in glass making it easier to clean. Also feels less flimsy.

Footprint, the 13" rMBP is actually shorter than the MBA, and it fits perfectly in the MacBook Air sleeve I bought for it. They are the same thickness at the thickest point.

Faster GPU and CPU. The Intel Iris (5100) is quicker than the HD5000 in the MBA, and the i5 has a higher clock speed. Not a huge difference mind you, but it's there.

Feel. This is a personal opinion, but it feels better, as in more durable.

So I'd go with the MacBook Pro, and at 8GB of RAM to keep comfortable for the future.

barimike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
Thanks for the input! Definitely leaning towards the rMBP. Now just a matter of finding the best deal and holding out for Tax-Free weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.