Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
It's my computer the only one that gets hot when is connected to the Thunderbolt Display no matter what i'm using it to?

MBPr used alone = cool laptop
MBPr lid closed + TBD = hot laptop
MBPr lid open + TBD = hot laptop
MBPr sleeping + TBD = hot laptop
MBPr sleeping + TBD only to charge the battery= cool laptop

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It's my computer the only one that gets hot when is connected to the Thunderbolt Display no matter what i'm using it to?

MBPr used alone = cool laptop
MBPr lid closed + TBD = hot laptop
MBPr lid open + TBD = hot laptop
MBPr sleeping + TBD = hot laptop
MBPr sleeping + TBD only to charge the battery= cool laptop

Are there any SMC or Firmware updates for your machine?

ha1o2surfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
A metal body does take a while to cool down. How long was it sleeping for when you felt it?

A thunderbolt display will use for GPU power which will in turn increase the heat output.. My Macbook air was boiling even at idle when using a TB display... So when connected to your display, there is nothing you can do about it while it's on.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
A metal body does take a while to cool down. How long was it sleeping for when you felt it?

A thunderbolt display will use for GPU power which will in turn increase the heat output.. My Macbook air was boiling even at idle when using a TB display... So when connected to your display, there is nothing you can do about it while it's on.

The thing is that the display was off, it turns hot whether the display is off or on. Just having the thunderbolt connected makes it get hot. This laptop has 2560x1600 pixels to push and it does it just fine while the TD is 2560x1440 and makes the laptop runs hot, it just doesn't make sense :confused:

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
It is an issue that is affecting my late 2013 15" mbp too. Turns out that it isn't actually sleeping. It immediately wakes up a few seconds after you tell it to sleep. This is an OSX only problem...does not happen in bootcamp. Only happens when plugged into a thunderbolt or displayport monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.