Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrdlau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
I'm wanting to learn ACCESS and SQL, and I'm having trouble finding the right software to use. I know that ACCESS is only for windows, so is there an alternative that is pretty close in terms of menus, features and commands? I"m following video tutorials, so while I know it won't be exact, whats the next best thing?

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I'm wanting to learn ACCESS and SQL, and I'm having trouble finding the right software to use. I know that ACCESS is only for windows, so is there an alternative that is pretty close in terms of menus, features and commands? I"m following video tutorials, so while I know it won't be exact, whats the next best thing?

Filemaker is the closest approximation of Access for the Mac but it is very different. If you want to learn SQL you can install one of the free SQL based databases like SQLite and write queries against it.

If you need to learn to develop Access applications, the. You're going to have to run Windows.

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
FileMaker's okay-ish, but as far as I'm aware isn't ACID compliant* so personally I wouldn't consider it for any 'serious' database work. And its surprising how often non-serious work evolves into serious work.

I'm not sure about Access but I think the above poster is right in saying you're going to need to run Windows in some form. Maybe as a virtual machine?

However, I'd encourage you to learn MySQL.

http://www.mysql.com

It runs on Mac, Linux or Windows. A lot of what you learn for MySQL is transferrable if you wanted to go to Microsoft's SQL at a later date.

Once you have MySQL installed (that's the fiddly bit), try working through the tutorial here:

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/

Personally, I like to use Sequel Pro instead of the command line - most stuff you can do on the command line you can do with Sequel Pro:

http://www.sequelpro.com

Good luck

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
Let me second the recommendation for learning from the W3SCHOOLS website. They're very well done, and free. You can learn TONS there.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you want to learn access, then install windows via Vmware or bootcamp and install office. There's really no other way way.

Likewise, if you want to learn T-Sql (Microsoft's variant of SQL) then you need windows and install Sql Server. If you just want to learn SQL in a generic sense there's a number of options as mentioned by the other posters.

mrdlau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
thanks for the response.

I have macbook air with only 2 gigs ram, so I don't know if it can handle it a vm ware with office. The only reason I have doubts is because I use a virtual machine to learn SAS studio (the statistical software), the macbook is struggling to run the codes I input. But I might give it a shot with the office 365 since i can just use their free trial.

As for SQL, I'm learning it for data analysis purpose as the career I am pursuing is of that nature (actuarial)

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
SQL is generally pretty consistent across different software. Some applications, like Access, will change the ' to a " for text. Keep in mind, though, that Access isn't truly a SQL editor. You can run 'queries' to manipulate tables but cannot, lets say, write 1,000 insert statements into one query block.

If you just want to learn SQL, I suggest MySQL (download SequelPro for free on Mac) or SQLite (many free apps out there).

SQL is, IMO, the easiest programming language to learn (it's just english) so play with it and have fun.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
thanks for the response.

I have macbook air with only 2 gigs ram,
Yeah, between the ULV processor and 2GB of ram, its not the best computer to run Vmware :(

I don't think you have any other options in learning Access, but you can learn SQL using OS X specific SQL tools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.