Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Some may think this is a dumb question, but do you think Mavericks will get iCloud Drive via 10.9.5 or another update?

I realize that it is a feature advertised with Yosemite, but Apple knows that iOS 8 will be very integrated into iCloud Drive and not every Mac user will be running Yosemite. Since it will be accessible via the web and the control panel in Windows I don't see why they wouldn't add a functioning folder to Mavericks.

What do you think?

JCSColin

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
Chester and Fairfax Virginia
No, I don't see Apple allowing iDrive to run on Mavericks as Apple likes to have all of their users(both iOS and Macintosh) running their latest operating system. Apple is notorious for withholding features in older Operating Systems to help push people into their newer ones. Also Apple kinda has an excuse to use too as Yosemite will run on every single Mac that is able to run Mavericks so they really don't need to waste their time adding features to an OS that in a few months will quickly be abandoned.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
That seems like the most logical thing, but how will iOS 8 devices that utilize icloud Drive work with pre-Yosemite Mac's?

Surely Apple realizes that many people who use iOS are not going to be on the latest release of Yosemite, at least not initially.

JCSColin

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
Chester and Fairfax Virginia
That seems like the most logical thing, but how will iOS 8 devices that utilize icloud Drive work with pre-Yosemite Mac's?

They won't. That's at least how I see Apple doing this. iCloud Drive isn't a "mandatory" feature so if someone chooses to update their phone to iOS 8 but keep Mavericks, at least initially, it won't cause either of these systems to become unusable.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
What JCSCollin said.

Not only on OS X, but you see same situation on iOS: features only available on specific hw and OS version.

For Mavericks, can still get your documents via iCloud web interface, ain't going to brick one's desktop.

Early iCloud features (eg. contact, calendar sync) didn't work on Snow Leopard, hence, dumped my Hackintosh for an iPad (plus battery issues for stock battery and 3rd party being poor).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.