Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amcoffin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Strange problem started happening in the last week or two, after years of mostly hassle-free operation of my Apple TV(s).

Now, when I turn on my system after a period of non-use, I am able to see the Apple TV main menu as if it is connected to my wireless network, but selecting any app (say, Movies), will lead to the "Connecting to iTunes Store" screen with the waiting animation indefinitely.

Once I go into settings and restart the Apple TV, everything works just fine -- snappy, with instant access to apps and content.

I now have to restart the Apple TV every single time I want to use it. Never seen this before...any ideas?

amcoffin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
If you can always use wired Ethernet for stationary devices.

Sure, I get that -- I just find it odd that I'm not having other wireless issues (that I can see), and everything was working fine. Also, the fact that it can be fixed with a restart of the AppleTV makes me think this is an Apple TV issue, not a network issue.

amcoffin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Which wifi router do you have?

I have an Airport Extreme 5th generation on my second floor as my primary router, connected to my cable modem, and an Airport Extreme 4th generation extending my network (on my first floor, connected to my media center).

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Are the two AirPorts connected wireless or wired Ethernet? Wireless is a >50% in transfer rate when used in extender mode. A Ethernet over Power adapter might help if you can't run a cable.

BigMovieGeek

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
I'm on a wired connection and I'm also getting this. I would guess that it started happening after the past software update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.