Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grogfoot

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Has anyone with the public beta of Yosemite tried running iWork '09 applications?

I'm probably being paranoid, but I'm concerned about Apple trying to force the new (crappy) versions of iWork upon upgrading.

Nathan005

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
Quick Test

Just did a quick test, and it seems to function fine.
Don't know what specifically you want to know that works, but they open and run fine it seems.

Also while I would agree with you initially that they were very inferior to the originals - they have caught up, with a few exceptions. (My biggest gripe is that I can't duplicate and rearrange pages in pages, but you can in keynote!)

If you have iOS and a Mac the new iWork makes mobile edits amazing. (I personally use AnyFont (app) to keep my fonts the same so I can print from almost anywhere as well)

Ayala

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
iWork 09 does not work, idk what he tried but these are incompatible with Yosemite

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Just did a quick test, and it seems to function fine.
Don't know what specifically you want to know that works, but they open and run fine it seems.

Also while I would agree with you initially that they were very inferior to the originals - they have caught up, with a few exceptions. (My biggest gripe is that I can't duplicate and rearrange pages in pages, but you can in keynote!)

If you have iOS and a Mac the new iWork makes mobile edits amazing. (I personally use AnyFont (app) to keep my fonts the same so I can print from almost anywhere as well)
Why are you claiming that the new versions have cought up with "a few exceptions"? There is still a long list of features that are missing.

There are quite a few "show stoppers" for me, one example, the new Pages still does not have linked text boxes... that's a pretty big exception.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
The latest version of Keynote is pretty messed up on Yosemite, so I'd imagine that older versions are even more terrifying.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
Is there a consensus on this? I need iWork '09 for the mail merge function. If it doesn't work, I can't upgrade to Yosemite.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Ah crap, I knew it. Forced upgrade. :(

It works, but some things may be broken. For example, the share to mail function doesn't work. I highly doubt Apple will fix this (I did send them feedback), which is frustrating because I use it all the time, and I can't stand the interface in the new version.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Pages 09 opens much faster on my rMBP 11,3 that the latest Pages. This combo is not a step forward.

evangw

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Do any of the later builds affect this one way or the other? I still use Keynote '09 -- the forced rasterizing of imbedded vector graphics in the latest Keynote makes it a no-go for me and I'll put off Yosemite as long as possible (or until Keynote adds vector graphics support back in, not holding my breath though).

ZumayaPublisher

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2014
Austin TX
Pages '09 compatibility confirmation vital

Okay, there seem to be mixed results regarding the compatibility of Pages '09 with Yosemite. I am really hoping to do the upgrade once it's released, but I can't use the new version of Pages for professional-quality document formatting.

If Pages '09 isn't compatible, I will need to invest a fair amount of revenue into switching to and learning InDesign and adding another computer for learning to use it. So, if anyone can confirm either that Pages '09 does or doesn't work with Yosemite, I need to know ASAP.

Last edited:

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Okay, there seem to be mixed results regarding the compatibility of Pages '09 with Yosemite. I am really hoping to do the upgrade once it's released, but I can't use the new version of Pages for professional-quality document formatting.

If Pages '09 isn't compatible, I will need to invest a fair amount of revenue into switching to and learning InDesign and adding another computer for learning to use it. So, if anyone can confirm either that Pages '09 does or doesn't work with Yosemite, I need to know ASAP.
Problem is, it might work in beta and may not work in the public release. Best to switch to in design, sooner rather than later.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007

Pages although good, has never been professional when it came to formatting. Why would you need another computer for InDesign? It is also easy to learn and use. If you do have to go down the new software route there are alternatives to InDesign. Quark is just as good, some people find it more intuative the InDesign therefore quicker to pick up.

Before doing anything though it would be best to wait until JellyStone is actually releaed to see what happens. A lot could happen between now and the final release.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

Is there any driving reason for the need to upgrade to Yosemite immediately?

Problem is, it might work in beta and may not work in the public release. Best to switch to in design, sooner rather than later.
This is an excellent point regarding working in the beta but not the public release. But InDesign appears to be subscription-only... to the tune of $239/year. I'd rather hold out upgrading to Yosemite and sticking with iwork '09.

Pages although good, has never been professional when it came to formatting.
It all depends upon what one is doing. I have had no problems using Pages '09 for all of my publishing needs... everything from brochures to booklets to 200+ page paperback books, etc. The results have always come out professional-looking.

ZumayaPublisher

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2014
Austin TX
Feedback helpful—thanks

I want to be able to upgrade because the interconnectivity of my Macbook, iPad and iPhone would be a very useful tool overall. So, while postponing the upgrade on one level is certainly an option, it's not the one I'd prefer.

Pages is an excellent formatting program if you know how to use it. I'm sure there are things in InDesign that will eventually prove to make it a better choice but given I've had people express surprise I wasn't using it for layout, I'd say Pages is doing what needs to be done. And since I started doing layout on the fly and still have a shortage of time for a learning curve, I've stuck to using what works.

I've heard nothing but horror stories from professionals in the field I know who have used (and in some cases still use) Quark, so that's not an option. Plus, a brief look at the InDesign menus and other elements suggest the learning curve on it would be much shorter than with Quark.

As for why I'd need another computer, since I have a Creative Cloud subscription and the Macbook Pro is currently stationed in my primary workspace, I had planned to replace an aging netbook with a full-sized Windows machine at some point anyway if I switched to InDesign, as I can then have a more flexible workflow while also having access to both operating systems, which I've found useful. So, "need" may not be the proper word; it's more a case of replacing obsolete equipment.

And yes, I'm aware there could be a big difference between the beta and final versions, but given the expressed goals of Apple with the update, I'm willing to bet those differences wouldn't be in favor of full '09 support. It's like anything else—at some point, you have to accept it's time to move on.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Based on very limited usage it seems to be functioning fine except for some UI issues. I haven't used it for large research projects like I have in Mavericks, but it appears to function properly.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I used to use InDesign but have switched to using the layout mode in Pages '09. It works great. My needs have changed to where it works fine. I used to print some small books and for that my printer wanted the ID file. Now he is happy with the PDF. For the future we won't print, we'll just use the PDF.

For my scientific posters (about 6' long by 4' high) I use Pages. The last one was printed at Kinko's.

The new version of Pages is coming along. It still doesn't flow text between text boxes. Given that Apple has been promoting iWork I'm hopeful they will keep developing it.

happyfrappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2007
Location eh?
With the amount of rewrite Apple had done to iWork, you can be sure they were making the next version of iWork to integrate into Yosmite and '09 is likely dead-ended to Mavericks as it relied upon iPhoto(and iLife support libraries). Keep in mind iLife also has been shrinking with each OS X release, iWeb was dead upon iCloud losing webhosting, iDVD fizzled away, GarageBand ditched podcaster features to become a freemium music creation application(pay to unlock the drummer/loops/music lessons) and iPhoto will get the axe once Yosmite launches.

You could try the opensource "Scribus" which is similar to InDesign, for vector image creation Inkscape has gotten better on OS X. IMO, I'd try to live with the least amount of Adobe subscriptionware.

ManUtdForLife

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2009
Hmm, mixed feedback about the issue, which is obviously not encouraging.

Has anyone tried installing the '09 suite from the retail DVD on Yosemite? I'm curious whether that works at all, as well as the subsequent updates, etc. Will be either buying a new Mac or clean installing 10.10 when it drops in autumn, so this is a big issue for me.

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Has anyone with the public beta of Yosemite tried running iWork '09 applications?

I'm probably being paranoid, but I'm concerned about Apple trying to force the new (crappy) versions of iWork upon upgrading.

No worries! iWork '09 is fully functional and very responsive under Yosemite. Based on my limited experience, iWork's performance is actually better under Yosemite compared to Mavericks!

Attachments

• No worries.png
    No worries.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 978

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Hmm, mixed feedback about the issue, which is obviously not encouraging.

Has anyone tried installing the '09 suite from the retail DVD on Yosemite? I'm curious whether that works at all, as well as the subsequent updates, etc. Will be either buying a new Mac or clean installing 10.10 when it drops in autumn, so this is a big issue for me.

No, retail DVD itself will not work.

You will need to download and install iWork 9.3 update from Apple's support website after installing iWork from retail DVD.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1563

----------

With the amount of rewrite Apple had done to iWork, you can be sure they were making the next version of iWork to integrate into Yosmite and '09 is likely dead-ended to Mavericks as it relied upon iPhoto(and iLife support libraries). Keep in mind iLife also has been shrinking with each OS X release, iWeb was dead upon iCloud losing webhosting, iDVD fizzled away, GarageBand ditched podcaster features to become a freemium music creation application(pay to unlock the drummer/loops/music lessons) and iPhoto will get the axe once Yosmite launches.

You could try the opensource "Scribus" which is similar to InDesign, for vector image creation Inkscape has gotten better on OS X. IMO, I'd try to live with the least amount of Adobe subscriptionware.

All these legacy apps you have mentioned work on OS X Yosemite just fine (even iMovie HD still work).

iWeb is still functional (although webpages are glitchy to render in Chrome) if you have your own server because of its built in FTP service.

----------

That does not appear to be the case this time. Apple often keeps legacy version of their app compatible with a few future system updates if they have decided to give their app a major overhaul. (Example: iMovie HD, Final Cut 7, iWeb, iDVD, QuickTime 7)

----------

iWork 09 does not work, idk what he tried but these are incompatible with Yosemite

Although retail DVD itself will not work, you can download and install iWork 9.3 update from Apple's support website after installing iWork from retail DVD. Then it works flawlessly.

Ayala

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
No worries! iWork '09 is fully functional and very responsive under Yosemite. Based on my limited experience, iWork's performance is actually better under Yosemite compared to Mavericks!

I don't know how you got it to run but I've tried 3 different macs and they all fail at launch. they simply don't run for me... are you on the latest DP's?

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
I don't know how you got it to run but I've tried 3 different macs and they all fail at launch. they simply don't run for me... are you on the latest DP's?

Yes. iWork'09 works on the laltest developer preview.

Maybe you've got a older version of iWork'09 (9.0.x or 9.1.x) from DVD.
You will need to install iWork 9.3 update to work.

Also check gatekeeper setting. That may also cause your problem.

Grogfoot

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012

Thank you for this.

Hoping to get a final confirmation on release day. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.