Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Anyone try out this game on the Mac yet?

It is getting rave reviews all over the world, it is the Ultima VII or the Baldur's Gate II of the modern age. It looks to be a killer app, but I wonder how it runs on a MacBook Air or a current MacBook Pro Retina 13".

The graphics are not as fancy as Skyrim of course, but wonder how the fps are on a built-in GPU.

Thanks guys!

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
Well, the requirements state that it'll run on even an Intel HD 3000 (and will run pretty well if you have 8gb of system RAM) so I imagine it'll run okay. I haven't gotten to try it personally but it seems like it has pretty low requirements.

I'm hoping it'll run really well on my 2011 15".

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
It runs fine on my 2011 15" MBP. I'm running everything on Medium, haven't tried pushing graphics up.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I really want to try this game but it looks complicated. If you play alone you run with 2 characters i think and you can change the way it works. Either controlling the second character also or letting the ai do it which can cause issues with choices you make in the game. It just looks like one of those games that are more enjoyable with the more people you play with.

estorstenson

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
I've been playing it on a 2.7 ghz (i5) iMac from ~4 years ago and it's fine. The game looks nice and is a lot of fun. I've run into a bug, but I'm behind a version (in the process of downloading the update). So, it's probably fixed.

Don't know about Ultima VII (never played that one), but I'd say the comparison to BGII is spot on. The only complaint I have is sometimes the interface is a little picky (aside from the bug mentioned above where certain save games crash on load). It's never been a problem in combat, but I have trouble closing down inventory screens and stuff with the mouse every so often. I'm assuming that's related to something going on with my computer.

I LOVE the way the environment works. You can spend time prepping your combat area (pouring oil on the floor, moving barrels around to create blockages, etc) to do some clever strategies. You can play the same battle so many ways, it's a lot of fun.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Plays brilliantly, been playing maxed out at 3440x1440 and it's just fantastic. One of the best developed ports around.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Just for the fun of it I tried it on my 2011 MBA.
It's very playable at lowest settings at 900p.
Since the combat is turn based it is not so much an issue with the occasional lag spikes.
Fans go crazy tho, but this machine barely touches the minimum reqs.

The Intel 5xxx series integrated gfx is miles better than the Intel 3000 series and I'm pretty sure it will run ok.

The game seems optimized for lower end hardware as my gaming rig with GTX780 GHz Edition have some slowdowns too :p
(but mostly 80-100FPS on max settings tho.)

Also the game runs fine without starting steam too, if that matters.
Just make a shortcut to the game (~Library/steam/steamapps/common/)

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I'm getting massive input lag and it's lagging my entire computer on the browser here as well just running in the background and yet it's only using 22% of my CPU on my QUAD i7 and that's after lowering the resolution in case that's the problem. There seems to be a serious bug here. I've seen others mention the same thing on macs with far better GPUs. Maybe a reboot would help; I dunno.

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
I'm getting massive input lag and it's lagging my entire computer on the browser here as well just running in the background and yet it's only using 22% of my CPU on my QUAD i7 and that's after lowering the resolution in case that's the problem. There seems to be a serious bug here. I've seen others mention the same thing on macs with far better GPUs. Maybe a reboot would help; I dunno.

Weird, no issues on my old and new iMac. Maybe contact the devs? What GPU are you using?

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Weird, no issues on my old and new iMac. Maybe contact the devs? What GPU are you using?

It's the Intel HD4000. They listed the HD3000 as the minimum spec and this is at least 50% faster than that so I assumed it would be fine at a medium resolution, at least and CPU-wise, a quad i7 should be as fast as it could ever want (it's only using 22% CPU). The strangest thing is how even just running in the background (i.e. I move to the main desktop and go to say a web browser, the same input LAG that occurs in the game, happens to every app open. That should not happen as the window isn't active and a web browser doesn't use much GPU, especially when just sitting there accepting text input (all while the CPU is 78%+ available).

Torchlight II runs perfectly fine at my monitor's native resolution with all effects on. Borderlands II (Steam version which can play with PC users) which is like Diablo II + a first person shooter runs smooth as can be, even with 3 other people online playing in my hosted game (one friend on mine running a PC has commented more than once how my game hosting is the smoothest he's ever encountered playing it online and he was shocked to here I was running a Mac as he didn't even know it was available for it). I just ordered Diablo III (boxed/DVD version since it's less than half the price of the buy direct crap which is still $40) so I'll see how it runs when it gets here. It's the same type isometric view with similar graphics. I've read it runs fine, though on HD4000.

Rebooting the Mac has improved the lag input issue to some extent, although 1680x1050 is still a low frame rate and using the web browser right now still gets lagged from the game running in the background....

Ok, I found the cause of the text input delay just now. It was Steam's Game Overlay UI (not responding) in the Activity Monitor. Quitting it got rid of the text lag, but now I see the game itself isn't responding. I'll try it again with the overlay disabled from the start.... Still runs pretty awful frame rates even at lower resolutions. I'm not happy with it at all. They shouldn't advertise unusable minimum specs, IMO. I've above it and it still runs terrible.

Last edited:

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I find that on my 2014 MacBook Air 11.6 with i5 (and Intel HD5000 graphics) it runs fantastic .... I have been amazed at how well I can play games like this and Might & Magic X and Wasteland 2 amongst others ... pretty great, really!

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I find that on my 2014 MacBook Air 11.6 with i5 (and Intel HD5000 graphics) it runs fantastic .... I have been amazed at how well I can play games like this and Might & Magic X and Wasteland 2 amongst others ... pretty great, really!

Well, I don't know what the problem is. All I know is Torchlight 2 (that just came out with a Mac version) runs at my monitor's native 1650x1050 resolution with all options maxed out as smooth as can be, even with dozens of monsters on screen at once. I can't even get Divinity to run smooth with NOTHING but my own two characters on there at the lowest 16:10 resolution it offers. It's still choppy (although far less so than higher resolutions). Torchlight II runs literally smooth as butter. Even Borderlands 2 runs nice and smooth 99% of the time at medium-high resolutions with detail settings at HIGH (no anti-aliasing, though). It will get choppy if set to maximum resolution and maximum details, however, but short of reading the posters on walls 100 feet away, it isn't THAT much sharper. Bioshock Infinite ran smooth as well.

The bottom line is I don't know if there's a "bug" with my particular configuration or not, but with a quad i7 and HD4000, it should be able to run smooth at least at low resolution. It's pretty much unplayable, IMO. I wish I hadn't bought it.

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
Well, I don't know what the problem is. All I know is Torchlight 2 (that just came out with a Mac version) runs at my monitor's native 1650x1050 resolution with all options maxed out as smooth as can be, even with dozens of monsters on screen at once. I can't even get Divinity to run smooth with NOTHING but my own two characters on there at the lowest 16:10 resolution it offers. It's still choppy (although far less so than higher resolutions). Torchlight II runs literally smooth as butter. Even Borderlands 2 runs nice and smooth 99% of the time at medium-high resolutions with detail settings at HIGH (no anti-aliasing, though). It will get choppy if set to maximum resolution and maximum details, however, but short of reading the posters on walls 100 feet away, it isn't THAT much sharper. Bioshock Infinite ran smooth as well.

The bottom line is I don't know if there's a "bug" with my particular configuration or not, but with a quad i7 and HD4000, it should be able to run smooth at least at low resolution. It's pretty much unplayable, IMO. I wish I hadn't bought it.

I would argue that Divinity looks significantly better than TL2 or BL2 by a large margin. I also believe it is far more "detail-heavy" in any given section of the screen. This no doubt adds to the problem.

I just noticed on Steam it says "Additional Notes: HD3000 & HD4000 benefit from 8Gb of memory" do you have that?

Even so you are at minimum spec, even though they list the HD3000, the 4000 is still minimum too. I agree it should be playable, but maybe you are experiencing a particular performance issue.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I would argue that Divinity looks significantly better than TL2 or BL2 by a large margin.

Not from what I've seen so far. I'm guessing it has more to do with them being a kickstarter project, they simply aren't up to the programming quality level of commercial companies and the Mac is usually an after-thought to boot with many companies (i.e. who knows what shortcuts they may have taken to convert it). Torchlight 2 runs far smoother on my Mac than my Windows machine (which is a few years older, but had a top notch card in its day whereas the HD4000 is Intel dreck).

Also I would never attempt to compare the graphics of a 3D shooter to a glorified tile-scroller, but while Borderlands II may look "cartoonish" it is incredibly detailed down to reading small print on posters on the wall. Tile scrolling games aren't in the same leagues as real 3D, IMO.

I also believe it is far more "detail-heavy" in any given section of the screen. This no doubt adds to the problem.

You might be talking about later in the game, but the start of the game doesn't look like much to me. I just went through an area in Torchlight 2 that had not only a bridge over water, but complete smoke/fog effects throughout the area (that looked awesome) and snow and moved smooth as glass. Some of the enemies are 1/3 the size of the monitor screen. It never slows down one bit.

In Divinity, I had zero (and then like two a minute later) enemies on the screen in Divinity and the whole thing ran at the same oddly low frame rate regardless of what was on the screen PLUS it drags down my browser/desktop "frame rate" to boot (no game has EVER done that nor SHOULD it EVER do that unless it's using 100% of the CPU) all while using a whopping 15-30% of my CPU. It's doing something terribly wrong somewhere to screw up the desktop, that's for 100% certainty. Meanwhile, I can talk to three other people live in Borderlands 2 while jumping off a platform a mile up to the ground firing 8 rockets at once in mid-air ("Slab, did you just jump off the side...!?!?") and it doesn't bat an eye in terms of frame rate.

I just noticed on Steam it says "Additional Notes: HD3000 & HD4000 benefit from 8Gb of memory" do you have that?

Yes, I do. My specs are listed in my signature if you bothered to look. :rolleyes:

It's also using RAID0 and I get 350MB/sec read on conventional drives (and yet load times are terrible on Divinity; Borderlands II takes like 6 seconds to load an entirely new map and the entire game comes up in a few seconds; Torchlight 2 is similar).

Even so you are at minimum spec, even though they list the HD3000, the 4000 is still minimum too. I agree it should be playable, but maybe you are experiencing a particular performance issue.

The 4000 is still nearly 2x faster than a 3000 and I've got games that don't even support the 3000 that run better. If a 4000 isn't good enough to run smooth even with no enemies on the screen, then they shouldn't list it in their specs, IMO.

I just installed Diablo 3 plus expansion and while not quite as smooth as Torchlight 2, it runs pretty smooth at 1280x800 and is still more than playable at 1680x1050 (my monitor's native res), probably 2-3x the average frame rate of Divinity (and the scaling is better; divinity's text is almost unreadable at lower resolutions).

I also just tried disabling XtraFinder (in case it somehow caused some interference being non-standard and the reaction in the desktop. When I tried to load my game, the whole thing just locked up and I noticed in Activity Finder the Steam overlay had crashed again. I apparently HAVE to turn it off first before even trying to play since they have some kind of buggered setup (no other game ever did that ever in Steam). The character movements aren't as bad as the scrolling backgrounds, which just look "choppy" (especially compared to Torchlight) even when they're moving/scrolling fairly fast. Turning on Vsync didn't help one bit (did make a difference in Diablo III, which had some screen tearing without it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.