Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jppranker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
My question is Verizon prepaid now says u can bring your own cdma phone but when I try and bring my iphone 5 from straight talk they say it will not work. I thought iphone 5 thru 5s we're unlock and could be used with any carrier? There isn't any software preventing it is there or are they just being butt heads

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My question is Verizon prepaid now says u can bring your own cdma phone but when I try and bring my iphone 5 from straight talk they say it will not work. I thought iphone 5 thru 5s we're unlock and could be used with any carrier? There isn't any software preventing it is there or are they just being butt heads
Uhm…I think you have that backwards.

Verizon iPhone 5 series phones are unlocked as per agreement with the FCC. iPhones bought from any carrier other than Verizon or that were not purchased from Apple as SIM Unlocked are locked. I think you are thinking that any phone you bring to Verizon should be automatically unlocked. That's not the case.

If your Straight Talk iPhone was originally purchased from Sprint you are doubly screwed. Sprint will under no circumstances unlock your phone for domestic use.

Jppranker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
The iphone I have is straight talk used on verizon 3G prepaid network. So do I need to get it unlocked from straight talk?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The iphone I have is straight talk used on verizon 3G prepaid network. So do I need to get it unlocked from straight talk?
If you originally bought it from Straight Talk then you need to talk to them, yes.

If Straight Talk is an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) that simply uses Verizon's network then your iPhone is not a Verizon iPhone and isn't subject to the FCC agreement. It's bound to Straight Talk's rules and conditions.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
From a cursory Google search it seems that Straight Talk refuses unlock requests.

I also found this, posted in the Howard Forums in regards to ST's terms of service.
From the Straight Talk Terms and Conditions of Service:

14. UNAUTHORIZED USAGE OR RESALE: The Straight Talk phone is sold exclusively for use by you, the end consumer, with the Straight Talk Service available solely within the United States. Any other use of your Straight Talk handset including, without limitation, activation and/or use on a network other than Straight Talk, any resale, unlocking and/or reflashing of the handset is unauthorized and constitutes a violation of your agreement with Straight Talk. You agree not to unlock, reflash, tamper with or alter your Straight Talk phone or its software, enter unauthorized PINs, engage in any other unauthorized or illegal use of your Straight Talk phone or the Service, or assist others in such acts, or to sell and/or export Straight Talk phones outside of the United States. Improper, illegal or unauthorized use of your Straight Talk phone may result in immediate discontinuance of Service and legal action. These acts violate Straight Talk’s rights and state and federal laws. Straight Talk will prosecute violators to the full extent of the law. Straight Talk reserves the right to cancel any Service without notice.

You may just be better off selling the phone and buying a Verizon iPhone.

Jppranker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
Ok according to straight talks website will unlock if it meets requirements. If they do there isn't anythg from a software point keeping it from being used by verizon is there? It's the same a1429 verizon sells it just says TFW as the provider.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ok according to straight talks website will unlock if it meets requirements. If they do there isn't anythg from a software point keeping it from being used by verizon is there? It's the same a1429 verizon sells it just says TFW as the provider.
I don't know. I wouldn't think so.

You might want to seek clarification with them though. You may be thinking a complete unlock and ST may be thinking an INTERNATIONAL unlock only.

There is a difference. Take Sprint, for instance. They will unlock for international use (means you can use different networks outside the US) but they will NEVER unlock for domestic use.

If ST means the same as Sprint you may be in for a rude shock.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I don't know. I wouldn't think so.

You might want to seek clarification with them though. You may be thinking a complete unlock and ST may be thinking an INTERNATIONAL unlock only.

There is a difference. Take Sprint, for instance. They will unlock for international use (means you can use different networks outside the US) but they will NEVER unlock for domestic use.

If ST means the same as Sprint you may be in for a rude shock.

Sprint always finds some way to screw the consumer. I don't want to turn this into a "Speint bashing" thread, but I pray to God ST isn't like Sprint because if so ... I truly feel sorry for the OP

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sprint always finds some way to screw the consumer. I don't want to turn this into a "Speint bashing" thread, but I pray to God ST isn't like Sprint because if so ... I truly feel sorry for the OP
I hear you…but somehow I doubt it's any different unfortunately.

Jppranker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
Wht amazes me is my iphone 5 has the exact specs that the verizon iphone 5 has only sold at walmart

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
No matter what you do verizon will not activate it on their network.
Sell it and get one that works for the carrier you want to use it on.
Even if straightalk unlocks it will be unlocked for gsm networks only.
Sprint and verizon still wont accept it even though its a verizon MVNO.

joshkhaos1

Suspended
Jul 24, 2014
I used ST for a short time and all I can say is Good, Luck getting them to do ANYTHING for you.

Seriously, I'd sell the phone and just start over. Way less headache.

Jppranker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
Lol found out since mine has been replaced by apple at the apple stored my meid shows up in Verizon's system so they think they can activate it now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No matter what you do verizon will not activate it on their network.
Sell it and get one that works for the carrier you want to use it on.
Even if straightalk unlocks it will be unlocked for gsm networks only.
Sprint and verizon still wont accept it even though its a verizon MVNO.
That's one of the parts that keeps on being really crappy. Even Verizon came out with a program saying they would accept non-Verizon CDMA devices if they satisfy some requirements (which an identical hardware phone certainly would), yet it seems they never end up allowing any such devices in the end. Would be interesting if someone actually officially calls them out on it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I hear you.
Doesn't make any sense at all besides financial sense to them.
They might allow some other devices but when it comes to iPhones the answer is always no.
To be honest, I doubt it makes financial sense either. The phone costs them practically nothing to activate on their network and it'll bring them additional revenue of at least $45/mo. Verizon doesn't even have to subsidize the phone or anything.

The only reasonable explanation I can think of why they won't activate the phone on their network is if they're under contractual obligation with Walmart/StraightTalk not to do so.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
To be honest, I doubt it makes financial sense either. The phone costs them practically nothing to activate on their network and it'll bring them additional revenue of at least $45/mo. Verizon doesn't even have to subsidize the phone or anything.

The only reasonable explanation I can think of why they won't activate the phone on their network is if they're under contractual obligation with Walmart/StraightTalk not to do so.

I hear you on that. Doesnt make much sense.
But for some reason verizon sees the customer as a privilege to be using their network and paying them for service.
You want to connect, pay the fee, sign the 2 year contract or buy one of our phones type of attitude.
"its the network" Can you hear me now:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.