Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Web Surfing, email, reading is much more comfortable in bed/couch than sitting at a desk in an office chair. Anyone else agree? It just feels so tedious sitting at the desk at home. Maybe its because i already sit at one for 8 hours everyday at work so I dont want the same experience at home. But still, its amazing how ever since using an ipad, its completely changed the way i read at home.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Even though I'm sitting at my desk using my big rig, I completely agree with you that the iPad is so much more comfortable to use.

My problem is that I'm a keyboard addict, so I do 98% of my email and forum responding using my big, comfy keyboard.

Less typos, but not as entertaining as when I was making a shopping list on my iPad and typed in "waterproof duct tape" then went to the next entry. When I opened the shopping list the next day in the store, I got the giggles when I saw that my spelling had been changed to "waterproof duct tapeworm."

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I agree. By the time I get home from work the last thing I want to do is sit at my desk once I get home.

That's one of the big reasons I like to have an iPad, most everything I can do on it and I don't have to be stuck at my desk. :p

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Even though I'm sitting at my desk using my big rig, I completely agree with you that the iPad is so much more comfortable to use.

My problem is that I'm a keyboard addict, so I do 98% of my email and forum responding using my big, comfy keyboard.

Less typos, but not as entertaining as when I was making a shopping list on my iPad and typed in "waterproof duct tape" then went to the next entry. When I opened the shopping list the next day in the store, I got the giggles when I saw that my spelling had been changed to "waterproof duct tapeworm."

You can type in bed or on the couch as well. In fact im actually considering doing this. Moved my laptop into my room and it it connected to my 60" sony bravia as a monitor. It surprisingly works quite well! However using a mouse in bed feels awkard and isnt the most comfortable haha.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
disagree completely. browsing on my iPad is nice, yes, but on my desktop I have speakers, two monitors, and much more capability. I am far too fond of the setup I have to switch to something as minimal and restrictive as an iPad for all of my computing needs.

New Apple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2012
Kristinestad
Web Surfing, email, reading is much more comfortable in bed/couch than sitting at a desk in an office chair. Anyone else agree? It just feels so tedious sitting at the desk at home. Maybe its because i already sit at one for 8 hours everyday at work so I dont want the same experience at home. But still, its amazing how ever since using an ipad, its completely changed the way i read at home.

agree

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I love desktops computers. But so also love my iPad. It depends on what I want to do. I do a lot of the same things on both though.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I would suggest not making your bed your main setup. I did it for about three years now, and then I started developing a lot of pain everywhere. This year I finally cleaned off my desk, put my machines back on them, and the majority of the pain has went away after a few months of getting back to the routine. I wonder what kind of chairs you guys have? I never liked sitting on the chair in my dad's office, but I love my faux leather one that I've had for a decade now.

I don't like sitting at my desk all the time either, but if it means an aching ribcage otherwise, then I'll do it. The only time I let myself sit on the bed now is when I'm in a hotel room and there's no table.

The couch is definitely better. There's only a few ways to position yourself on them, and you have limited space to do so, heh. They're also firm by default. We thankfully also have an outlet on the floor right there on the side of it too, whoever came up with putting one there was a genius.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
When I need to work I definitely plug my Air to the external monitor, use the keyboard and mouse and sit on my comfortable chair (very similar to the one I have at office).
iPad is great for surfing the web and watching videos and I can do it on the couch or at bed. Is better than my 11'' Air when I lay down on the couch, but if I need to answer emails Air is my first choice because I really need the keyboard.

I consider iPad to be the greatest entertainment device at home, but my laptop is still the best working device

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Probably depends on the desk and the office chair. I often see ads for "computer desks" that can only be used as torture instruments; my desk is absolutely fine.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
How about putting your desk in a room and in a setting more relaxed than strictly an office type setup.

eg. in the living room where you can occasionally pop your head to follow a tv sporting event

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
This is the perfect response thread to "Anyone Else Thinks that Tablets Are Useless?" :)

Back on topic, surfing the web on laptop/desktop doesn't feel tedious, but it's not the best method for relaxing in my opinion. After spending the entire day in front of a computer, the last thing I want to do at the end of the day is to browse the web in front of a computer. I still prefer my computer for watching movies and listening to music without headphones (I have my speakers hooked up to my computer).

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Both the rmini and my iMac have their place in my life, and I enjoy both of them immensely.

For "relaxing", nothing beats the couch in the family room with the rmini. That is where I do my daily reading with the rmini. The New York Times, whatever ebooks I'm reading, etc. Also the occasional browsing of email, stock and weather info on Safari, etc. if I'm in a "read only" mode.

But if I want to do much in the way of inputting info, responding to email, sorting, filing, making notes, researching purchases, ordering from Amazon, making travel reservations, watching podcasts, etc. I always make the short trip upstairs to my home office. Here I have the nice large iMac screen at eye level, a comfortable ergonomic chair, lots of desk space, easy access to file cabinets and office supplies, decent speakers, and a mechanical keyboard with tactile feedback for pleasant typing. When traveling I make do with the rmini for these tasks, but always enjoy getting home to the iMac experience.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I love my iPad and use it on the couch, but just as relaxing is using my retina macbook pro at my dining room table which overlooks my patio and the park and woods beyond it. That is my favorite place to use the computer and have coffee in the morning. I would probably never use a computer at a desk facing a wall at home - get enough of that at work.

fewlio

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
Just get a reasonably sized bluetooth wireless keyboard. It solves the "laptop on my chest, arms in a cramped uncomfortable position to be able to type"problem. You can put the iPad on your chest close to your face, and the keyboard behind it, allowing your arms to stretch out naturally and be in a comfortable typing position. Or, just put the tablet and the keyboard wherever the heck you want, that's the freedom of wireless devices! Tablets are the premier bedtop computing device. I wish I had picked up a bluetooth keyboard for mine sooner than I did, now I have way more options with how I want to use my tablet.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
You can type in bed or on the couch as well. In fact im actually considering doing this. Moved my laptop into my room and it it connected to my 60" sony bravia as a monitor. It surprisingly works quite well! However using a mouse in bed feels awkard and isnt the most comfortable haha.

Don't use a laptop, just a custom built desktop (hardwired) which is in my den and is attached to a 29" monitor. I used my desktop for tasks my iPad cannot carry out.

I guess I could get a wireless keyboard, but my computer chair is quite comfortable and the documents I need are at my desk.

That said, my iPad is priceless because of its portability and instant response. No boot time! :)

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles

I agreed with you... I had to take break few times. I enjoyed using iPad Air on my bed watching movies. :apple:

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
If someone only created a computer with a built in screen, keyboard and battery. It could have the power of a desktop but be fully portable. You could even use it on your lap.

Wait this is totally crazy talk nobody wants such a device. :p

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I got rid of the desk a while ago, because I found that I was never sitting there. I would walk up, look up something quickly on the iMac, stand there for a few minutes, and then walk away to go back to something else like the TV. So I could tell having a desktop was becoming outdated for me. The iPad just fits so much better- I can carry it around, whereever I am sitting, and do everything I need.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I used to utilize a computer desk, even after switching from a desktop to a laptop MacBook Air. Now the desk is still there but I never use it and it basically is a place for the router and printer to sit. The cat has also recently decided that he likes sleeping there as well so I'm probably never getting it back:p

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I think it is because you site at one all day at work, so do I. On the weekend though I will get my coffee and sit at my iMac and check the news, forums and such. After work? Not happening. Although I generally use my Macbook Pro on the couch sometimes the Macbook Air. If that doesn't work I'll get my iPad Air.

mrnoglue

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
I like sitting at a nice desk with a nice chair. Unfortunately, my home setup leaves me wanting :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.