Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jingletido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2014
Hi, and thanks in advance for any help. I have an iMac and a MBA, both with current Mavericks OS. On both systems, the only folders I am sharing are the public folders in each home directory. When I connect to the server on the iMac via Go-Connect to Server (afp), I see only the public folders from my MBA user accounts (as it should be and as I want it to be).
However, when I do the same thing on the MBA (Go, connect to server), my entire iMac shows up and mounts. All my external drives, my home folder.. everything! This happens in both the administrator account and in a standard user account on the MBA. So the standard user on the MBA is able to see, read, write anything they want on my iMac. My iMac is virtually exposed to the standard user. Even though all the permissions on my imac allow only administrators to access the files, the standard user from the MBA gets to see and access everything.
Is there some way to repair this and restore my privacy?
Thank you!

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Hi, and thanks in advance for any help. I have an iMac and a MBA, both with current Mavericks OS. On both systems, the only folders I am sharing are the public folders in each home directory. When I connect to the server on the iMac via Go-Connect to Server (afp), I see only the public folders from my MBA user accounts (as it should be and as I want it to be).
However, when I do the same thing on the MBA (Go, connect to server), my entire iMac shows up and mounts. All my external drives, my home folder.. everything! This happens in both the administrator account and in a standard user account on the MBA. So the standard user on the MBA is able to see, read, write anything they want on my iMac. My iMac is virtually exposed to the standard user. Even though all the permissions on my imac allow only administrators to access the files, the standard user from the MBA gets to see and access everything.
Is there some way to repair this and restore my privacy?
Thank you!

When you use go->connect to server, if your credentials for that server are stored in your keychain, it logs you in as yourself and you can see everything on that machine even if public is the only thing visible to somebody connected as guest.
ME8Gj.png

What shows in Finder for that machine? Connected as guest? I suspect when you connect to the iMac you are connected as a real user but when you connect to the MBA from the iMac you are connected as guest. That would explain the difference.

jingletido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2014
Thank you r0k and swiftaw! I spent literally hours trying to find a solution, poring over posts and forums and help pages. Not until you both responded here (and so quickly!) was I able to get some insight into what was going on. Signing out and back in to icloud helped. Also clearing the recent server list, so every mounted volume on the imac no longer shows up on the "Choose which volume you wish to mount" option.
Many thanks to you both!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.