Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CPTMuggle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
I've been struggling to figure out why I'm not able to get calendar invites to show up in Calendar on any of my devices. I just recently tried to switch over to iCloud calendar for syncing instead of Google calendar. Invites worked fine with google calendar, but don't seem to work with iCloud.

I know it's on my end because I am getting emails for invites, but I'm not getting any native notifications for them.

I'm able to send invites to people just fine. Does anyone have any idea as to what's going on? I've searched everywhere and I haven't been able to find a solution that worked for me.

CPTMuggle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Are you using your Google or your iCloud for email (or both)?

The only google service I'm using is email, but I have a new icloud email address as well. My Apple ID is actually my gmail address, so I'm thinking that maybe that's where the problem is occurring.

Apple's discussion forums are full of people who have their main gmail account as their Apple ID, and then run into problems when trying to use iCloud's calendar services after using google's.

CPTMuggle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
If the invites are being sent to your Gmail are they showing up in your Google calendar?

Whenever someone sends an invite to yourname@gmail.com, then it goes to my google calendar which works as expected.

I recently set up an iCloud email address in the hopes that it would work the same way with iCloud calendar. Whenever someone sends an invite to yourname@icloud.com, I receive the email for the invite in my email inbox, but it does not show up natively in the iCloud calendar's "invites" area.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The way different cloud services operate changes from month to month, really, so someone may come in here after me and tell you how to get that to work the way you want it...but I'd say it's no surprise that you get those results.

In both iCloud and Gmail the calendars (and contacts, but not so much) are closely integrated with the email systems of each.

I'd suggest sticking with the Google calendar. On your phone (and on your Mac) you can still have a "dormant" iCloud calendar synced if there are shared iCloud calendars you'd like to see.

For me the Google calendar has more features that I like to implement.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Whenever someone sends an invite to yourname@gmail.com, then it goes to my google calendar which works as expected.

I recently set up an iCloud email address in the hopes that it would work the same way with iCloud calendar. Whenever someone sends an invite to yourname@icloud.com, I receive the email for the invite in my email inbox, but it does not show up natively in the iCloud calendar's "invites" area.

The way different cloud services operate changes from month to month, really, so someone may come in here after me and tell you how to get that to work the way you want it...but I'd say it's no surprise that you get those results.

In both iCloud and Gmail the calendars (and contacts, but not so much) are closely integrated with the email systems of each.

I'd suggest sticking with the Google calendar. On your phone (and on your Mac) you can still have a "dormant" iCloud calendar synced if there are shared iCloud calendars you'd like to see.

For me the Google calendar has more features that I like to implement.

Same problem here. Work perfectly fine for my friend, so there is some issue. I may just create a new Icloud account.

luminosity6

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2015
I've been struggling to figure out why I'm not able to get calendar invites to show up in Calendar on any of my devices. I just recently tried to switch over to iCloud calendar for syncing instead of Google calendar. Invites worked fine with google calendar, but don't seem to work with iCloud.

I know it's on my end because I am getting emails for invites, but I'm not getting any native notifications for them.

I'm able to send invites to people just fine. Does anyone have any idea as to what's going on? I've searched everywhere and I haven't been able to find a solution that worked for me.

Hi,

A little late to this party but after having some confusion myself recently just transitioning to the iCloud calendar, I thought I'd chime in here in case someone finds it helpful. There is one setting in the web calendar (Settings, Advanced, Invitations). When I changed over to using my iCloud email address (instead of my old email address) I had to change this setting to "Receive event notifications as in-app notifications."

Afterward, calendar notices starting working properly in the calendar notifications section.

Happy New Year! : )

Last edited:

cmurph00

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2016
Dublin,Ireland
Solution I found is listed here.
http://ternarylabs.com/2015/01/30/fix-missing-ical-to-gmail-invites/

Seems Icloud is intercepting these invites somehow

Hi,

A little late to this party but after having some confusion myself recently just transitioning to the iCloud calendar, I thought I'd chime in here in case someone finds it helpful. There is one setting in the web calendar (Settings, Advanced, Invitations). When I changed over to using my iCloud email address (instead of my old email address) I had to change this setting to "Receive event notifications as in-app notifications."

Afterward, calendar notices starting working properly in the calendar notifications section.

Happy New Year! : )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.