Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auptimus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Hi guys,
I just finished installing Mountain Lion on my Mac Pro. How can I delete other partitions and resize the ML partition to get all the free space from the other deleted partitions?
Thanks for your help.
Please bear with me as I am new to Mac World.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It depends on -where the partition is- on your drive.

If the ML partition is the first one, this shouldn't be too difficult, BUT...

... if the ML partition is "further down" in the partition list (as shown in Disk Utility's "partition" pane), I'll guess the best way to do it is to:
1. Create a clone of the ML partition on an external drive using CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper
2. Boot from the clone (hold down option key at restart until startup manager appears, select clone from the list with pointer and hit return)
3. RE-initalize the drive in question using Disk Utility (choose HFS+, journaling enabled)
4. RE-clone the contents of the clone BACK TO the newly-reinitialized drive.

There is a 3rd party "pay for" app out there named "iPartition" that can probably do the job for you, as well.

It -might- be possible to do the job using either TechTool Pro or Drive Genius, but I've never tried it.

I -have- used iPartition to re-arrange partitions, and it does a good job...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi guys,
I just finished installing Mountain Lion on my Mac Pro. How can I delete other partitions and resize the ML partition to get all the free space from the other deleted partitions?
Thanks for your help.
Please bear with me as I am new to Mac World.

Very easy if your ML partition is the first one (top one in Disk Util). Just boot normally then start Disk Util and select the partition you want to remove then click the minus at the lower left to remove it. Do this for each one you want to remove. Then follow this guide to expand the ML partition into the now empty space.

auptimus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Delete and resize partition on ML

Hi guys,
Sorry for the late post (just got of work at 23:00) and thanks for your answers. I will do my best to be very specific.

ML and Lion are installed on two different HHDs. The ML partition is on an external HDD and that is the one I am trying to expend and give it all the free space. Include is a picture of ML I want to expend.
As for iPartition, I used it, but I could not apply the changes, because the Go on the Partition menu is greyed out.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 2.20.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 2.20.13 PM.png
    421.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi guys,
Sorry for the late post (just got of work at 23:00) and thanks for your answers. I will do my best to be very specific.

ML and Lion are installed on two different HHDs. The ML partition is on an external HDD and that is the one I am trying to expend and give it all the free space. Include is a picture of ML I want to expend.
As for iPartition, I used it, but I could not apply the changes, because the Go on the Partition menu is greyed out.

Thanks

Like I mentioned, you can only resize the top one there. So what you will need to do is clone the data from that ML partition up to the untitled one, then delete the ML one and expand untitled into the free space.

You can use Disk Utility to do the clone. Just go to the restore tab and drag ML into the source section and untitled into the destination then click restore.

auptimus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Delete and resize partition on ML

Hi Weaselboy,
Thanks a lot for your help. Looks like this is the only way to do it. I appreciate your help. I did that (dragged the ML into the source section) and when I put in my password, I got this error message "Unable to scan "Mountain Lion." (Resource busy). If I have to format the free space, I might also lose the ML.
Bless you all
Optimus

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 11.13.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 11.13.21 AM.png
    284 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi Weaselboy,
Thanks a lot for your help. Looks like this is the only way to do it. I appreciate your help. I did that (dragged the ML into the source section) and when I put in my password, I got this error message "Unable to scan "Mountain Lion." (Resource busy). If I have to format the free space, I might also lose the ML.
Bless you all
Optimus

Try a command-option-r (all three keys at once) boot to Internet recovery are do the same thing using Disk Util from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.