Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
So, as I theorized, if you put the nifty WiFi AC card in a 1,1 it gives you both WiFi AC and BT 4.0, no need for the USB addition like in a 4,1/5,1

So a 2006 Mac Pro can easily have same WiFi and BT of latest models.

When Tiamo gets his Yosemite Boot EFI out they will be Handoff/Continuity capable. Will likely be oldest Macs able to do that.

And all thanks to the magic of industry standard (Mini) PCIE slots !!!

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
So, as I theorized, if you put the nifty WiFi AC card in a 1,1 it gives you both WiFi AC and BT 4.0, no need for the USB addition like in a 4,1/5,1

So a 2006 Mac Pro can easily have same WiFi and BT of latest models.

When Tiamo gets his Yosemite Boot EFI out they will be Handoff/Continuity capable. Will likely be oldest Macs able to do that.

And all thanks to the magic of industry standard (Mini) PCIE slots !!!

Wait in your other thread you said Apple was locking down the Yosemite continuity by blocking motherboard ids. So which is it?

Or is this another "I stretch the truth to make cMPs look better" thread by you?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Wait in your other thread you said Apple was locking down the Yosemite continuity by blocking motherboard ids. So which is it?

Or is this another "I stretch the truth to make cMPs look better" thread by you?

I'm sorry that you lack the ability to understand what I'm typing.

There is nothing I can do about that.

You can choose to read the info I recommended or continue choosing to be uneducated.

Please note that there are several people now posting that the cards we sell have enabled the new features.

There are also LOTS of people with 2011 MBA reporting that latest builds have taken away handoff checkbox.

So either I have created all of those accounts to spread lies, or you are not getting the gist of words anyone can read.

2006 Mac Pro can run latest WiFi and BT natively and with ease. Just because I am first to post about it doesn't mean I'm making it up.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

I just find it interesting that in one thread he states that apple will lock older computers out by motherboard Id (which surely a 2006 that isn't even supposed to run Yosemite would be one) yet in this thread somehow it works flawlessly on an unsupported computer? Oh wait yep he sells the cards to enable it.

----------

I'm sorry that you lack the ability to understand what I'm typing.

There is nothing I can do about that.

You can choose to read the info I recommended or continue choosing to be uneducated.

Please note that there are several people now posting that the cards we sell have enabled the new features.

There are also LOTS of people with 2011 MBA reporting that latest builds have taken away handoff checkbox.

So either I have created all of those accounts to spread lies, or you are not getting the gist of words anyone can read.

2006 Mac Pro can run latest WiFi and BT natively and with ease. Just because I am first to post about it doesn't mean I'm making it up.

I completely understand what you post. I just choose to point out the hypocrisy. Just like the MBA, you have no idea how Yosemite when released will handle the 2006 with an add on card just like you don't know about the 2011 MBA.

But because you sell a card and it works in DP4 (and of course that part is for the cMP), you sing it's praises and are guaranteeing it to work with Yosemite.

Hypocrite.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I just find it interesting that in one thread he states that apple will lock older computers out by motherboard Id (which surely a 2006 that isn't even supposed to run Yosemite would be one) yet in this thread somehow it works flawlessly on an unsupported computer? Oh wait yep he sells the cards to enable it.

----------

I completely understand what you post. I just choose to point out the hypocrisy. Just like the MBA, you have no idea how Yosemite when released will handle the 2006 with an add on card just like you don't know about the 2011 MBA.

But because you sell a card and it works in DP4 (and of course that part is for the cMP), you sing it's praises and are guaranteeing it to work with Yosemite.

Hypocrite.

I'm sorry that you are incapable of understanding what I have written. Take a moment and educate yourself. 2011 MBA has BT 4.0 but no easy way to add AC wifi.

Mac pros do because they have slots.

Is this any clearer or are you still confused?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I'm sorry that you are incapable of understanding what I have written. Take a moment and educate yourself. 2011 MBA has BT 4.0 but no easy way to add AC wifi.

Mac pros do because they have slots.

Is this any clearer or are you still confused?

Take a moment to listen to comprehend all products on the market...

There are bluetooth dongles that work off of USB that will add BT 4.0. No different than adding a card to the 2006 MP. You stated it has to do with blacklisting the motherboard of the MBA. What is to stop them from blacklisting the 2006 MP?

So again, you have no idea what will be in the final version of yosemite. Don't pretend you do. And don't pretend that this isn't because you are selling the cards on your store.

EDIT: Just because you continue to state you can't easily add Bluetooth 4.0 to a Macbook Air.... Just to drive home MY POINT: http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Bluetooth-Micro-Adapter-GBU521/dp/B007GFX0PY

Has Bluetooth 4.0 with LE. Runs on Mac OS. All for 12 bucks. How is this any different than adding a card to a non-Yosemite compatible computer (i.e. the Mac Pro?).

Last edited:

richgoga

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2013
@macvidcards, I was about to respond in the Mac Pro 1,1/2,1 Yosemite thread, when I saw this one.

Whilst I don't wish to involve myself with the ongoing argument, there has been a valid point raised.

If I was to purchase one of the cards, what guarantee do I have that it will work with the final release of Yosemite? Could Apple block board id's as the have with MBAs?

Originally, I was going to ask if you can ship the cards to the UK, but whether I now want one depends on the answer to the above.

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
If I was to purchase one of the cards, what guarantee do I have that it will work with the final release of Yosemite? Could Apple block board id's as the have with MBAs?

Here's my plan, see if you want to follow it. I'm going to wait until Yosemite comes out (Golden Master), then see if Tiamo or some other genius comes out with a way to get it running on a Mac Pro (yes I know you can chameleon it, but I'm hoping for a smoother way), and THEN buy one of these cards. Hell even better, wait till someone else does, and reports back working or not?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Here's my plan, see if you want to follow it. I'm going to wait until Yosemite comes out (Golden Master), then see if Tiamo or some other genius comes out with a way to get it running on a Mac Pro (yes I know you can chameleon it, but I'm hoping for a smoother way), and THEN buy one of these cards. Hell even better, wait till someone else does, and reports back working or not?

I think this is the plan that EVERYONE should have INCLUDING those hocking Yosemite/Continuity compatible wifi/bluetooth cards prior to the release of Yosemite. Especially since those hocking wares have as much idea of whether it work as you or I do and my guess is they aren't going to give you a refund if you buy now and in 3 months it doesn't work with the new OS!

Just saying....

EDIT: Please also note my signature. I am certainly not Anti-Mac Pro. I'm against people who make wild accusations based solely on unfinished software. Ridiculous.

kennyman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
US
@paulrbeers

I am not associated in any way with MVC, however I know MVC and some other folks were trying to figure out how to add Wifi AC and BT from a long time now even before Yosemite was announced.

Also, we were all caught by surprise with DP2 as the Continuity package was altered. You can read about it all over the forum, but it does not mean that we should stick with that info/claim forever, there have been other iterations of Yosemite after DP2.

The kext edit to add the unsupported device ID has always been the most preferred way to add unsupported hardware or peripherals to both Mac/Hack (along with DSDT Edits). Their is no blacklisted of motherboard or anything like that, we actually noticed on DP2 and DP3 that Yosemite was reading and loading system definition for Continuity.

Unfortunately those who are using Chameleon and Clover would sooner or later find a way to change the system definition. It would be even easier on a hack to change the system say from a MacPro 5,1 to MacPro 6,1, but it would be quite impossible to do that on a real Mac.

MVC did mentioned "theorized" and "will likely"...so it is not like he is making any kind of wild accusations. It was just a post to highlight that it is easy to upgrade MacPro 1,1 than upgrading MacPro 4,1 and 5,1. You guys are taking it too serious.

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
@paulrbeers

Agreed, all good points. Now I'm going to side step any further involvement in that argument ;)

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
@paulrbeers
MVC did mentioned "theorized" and "will likely"...so it is not like he is making any kind of wild accusations. It was just a post to highlight that it is easy to upgrade MacPro 1,1 than upgrading MacPro 4,1 and 5,1. You guys are taking it too serious.
I guess that MVC is taking it too serious, when he has to resort to being rude to everyone, who doesn't fall to their knees immediately.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
The point of the post is that it's ridiculously easy to pop in a single card fix (without extra USB wires) for the 1,1 since it has a standard mPCIE slot as opposed to an apple only solution.

Also, I'm interested in BT4 and WiFi ac regardless of it's compatibility with special features of Yosemite or any other OS. Having that compatibility is cool, I want it, but it's not a deal breaker if I don't. It's a feature I probably won't use much anyway.

Just my 2¢

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

I do want to point out that he officially stated "As I theorized" which means he previously theorized and have now confirmed.... "Will Likely" was only stated at the very end of his statement. I know this is splitting hairs, but it's indicative of the way he states things in order to sell. Get you to be all excited and then throw the disclaimer at the end after people have more or less moved on.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Take a moment to listen to comprehend all products on the market...

There are bluetooth dongles that work off of USB that will add BT 4.0. No different than adding a card to the 2006 MP. You stated it has to do with blacklisting the motherboard of the MBA. What is to stop them from blacklisting the 2006 MP?

So again, you have no idea what will be in the final version of yosemite. Don't pretend you do. And don't pretend that this isn't because you are selling the cards on your store.

EDIT: Just because you continue to state you can't easily add Bluetooth 4.0 to a Macbook Air.... Just to drive home MY POINT: http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Bluetooth-Micro-Adapter-GBU521/dp/B007GFX0PY

Has Bluetooth 4.0 with LE. Runs on Mac OS. All for 12 bucks. How is this any different than adding a card to a non-Yosemite compatible computer (i.e. the Mac Pro?).

You haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

Why not spend a few minutes and do the reading I have suggested?

There was a front page story about why your idea was a bad one and it was I who found a working answer.

The owner of this site then asked me publicly to keep posting info since I alone found an answer.

Due to your unwillingness to do any research I am forced to waste time answering your pointless posts.

Please just read up. Answers are all there when you close your keyboard and open your mind.

Or do what I do when I see a thread about RAIDs. Since I am completely ignorant about RAIDS, I just don't post there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.