Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Narial Taster

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2011
I have an iPad Air that is housed in a CaseCrown Omni case (thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-ipad-air-case). A few days ago the iPad fell from my hand onto a table that was about a foot below. The iPad landed on it's back and there is no visible damage. However, it now feels a little laggy at times, especially while scrolling articles on the NY Times app, at times while browsing in Safari, and seems to miss a frame every now and then while playing games (I've tested it with Real Racing 3 and Infinity Blade 2). The search bar on the home screen and the screen rotation function while browsing the App Store seem to be the worst offenders with very perceptible lags.

I don't have another Air to compare this to so am wondering whether this behavior is normal or my Air could have suffered any internal damage. The Air always felt extremely fluid but then the choppiness could also be psychosomatic! Is this behavior in line with a damaged iPad or would any internal damage be more pronounced? I ran a Geekbench 3 benchmarking test and the results were comparable to those of other iPad Airs. There aren't any Apple Stores in my country where I could take my iPad to and so any inputs here would be most appreciated!

Last edited:

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
If the fall wasn't to bad then it's probably OK. Just for the heck of it, try a reboot per se by holding down the home button and power toggle button until you see the apple logo.

Otherwise, keep using it and make note of other weirdness. I suspect you are fine.

Narial Taster

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2011
If the fall wasn't to bad then it's probably OK. Just for the heck of it, try a reboot per se by holding down the home button and power toggle button until you see the apple logo.

Otherwise, keep using it and make note of other weirdness. I suspect you are fine.

Thanks for replying, s2mikey. I did do a reboot (twice!) but there is a slight lag that is definitely noticeable; a bit like watching a movie where the sound is a fraction of a second out of sync! Would restoring the iPad help?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
All solid state in an IPad Air. A fall is not going to cause slowness. Binary, work or no work. No middle ground.

Narial Taster

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2011
All solid state in an IPad Air. A fall is not going to cause slowness. Binary, work or no work. No middle ground.

Apologies if this is a stupid question but does the solid state refer to the storage or the memory? Also, what is responsible for choppy/laggy behavior in most cases? Is it usually the storage, memory, processor, some other hardware, or is it a software issue?

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
Does it still lag if you lay it flat on a table and don't move it?

I would assume a contact has gone loose somewhere and it moves when you hold it. On a computer it would be easier to debug as you may see segfaults or I/O errors as the computer would lag because it determines data is corrupt and it has to keep fetching it until it is correct.

For some good bedtime reading: Cyclic redundancy check

Apologies if this is a stupid question but does the solid state refer to the storage or the memory? Also, what is responsible for choppy/laggy behavior in most cases? Is it usually the storage, memory, processor, some other hardware, or is it a software issue?

By solid state he means there are no moving parts (like a mechanical hard drive). Since modern electronics are all system on chip (almost everything is on a single chip), the points of failure would be the interconnects between the cpu/gpu and the RAM and the flash storage space.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Choppy/laggy is a result of cpu, memory, and/or gpu overloaded. They are not at fault, just overloaded. Overload could be due to a software fault.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.