Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coneman5259

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Chicago
I have an early 2008 iMac 24" with 2gb ram but I will upgrade to 4gb and I'm outgrowing iMovie. FCPX won't run with my video card. Is there some other options I should be looking at? Premiere is an option but I don't know how it will work with my older setup. Thank you in advance.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Here's the problem in a nutshell. No pro-level software will be happy on a system with 4 GB of RAM. Premiere will probably run, but Adobe suggests 8 GB as a minimum for acceptable performance.

So, ultimately, my advice for a computer like that is to use iMovie with it. It's specifically designed to run on less powerful systems so it's accessible to more people.

I realize that you've said you are out-growing iMovie, but the hard truth is that your computer can't really out-grow it. I'd suggest staying with it until you are able to replace your computer.

(Remember, you don't have to buy the newest and greatest. You could buy a 4-year old used computer and it will STILL be 2 years newer than your machine. Look at places like Powermax, maybe, and see if anything's in your price range.)

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
You say iMovie, what version are you using??.
iMovie is running now at 11 and once you decide to update your computer FCP 10.1.2 would suit your requirement as it has the same interface as iMovie 11.

coneman5259

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Chicago
Thank you everybody for the advice. I'm running a slightly older version of iMovie. I was going to upgrade to the newest but was trying to see what else was on the market. I really wanted something with multiple timelines but I guess I'll have to manage with iMovie for now and start saving up for a new system.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2012
I have been using Final Cut Express 4 for the last four years. I have an old '08 MacBook 4.1 running snow leopard on 4GB of RAM and Core 2 Duo processor.I use Final Cut Express 4 to edit personal projects and to practice editing in general. As a college student I use the newer 2013 iMacs at school, but I can chug along editing with FCE4 at home. I find FCE better than iMovie.

Maybe FCE4 will suit you on the older system. I suspect you'll have to hit up Amazon or EBay for a copy because the software is long gone from brick and mortar stores.

----------

Thank you everybody for the advice. I'm running a slightly older version of iMovie. I was going to upgrade to the newest but was trying to see what else was on the market. I really wanted something with multiple timelines but I guess I'll have to manage with iMovie for now and start saving up for a new system.
Just curious, what are the specs on your iMac?

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Upgrade the ram to as much as you can and get FCP 3 via torrent or eBay. FCP 3 was amazing, super reliable.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I would try a demo of Premiere Elements as it should be able to run OK on your Mac. The main problem with a Mac like that is if you try and edit MP4 video, but if you convert to some other format first (like ProRes), you should be OK.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
If you want multi-track editing at an affordable price, Adobe Premiere Elements is definitely a logical choice. It should run on your iMac fine.
Or you could try and hunt down a copy of Final Cut Express 4. It gives you most of the features of pre-X versions of Final Cut Pro for a decent price.

OrganMusic

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
Chicago
Another vote for FCX 4. I ran it for years on my 2008 iMac and did lots of hour+ projects in high def on it. I think it only had 2gb ram most of that time and was perfectly responsive. Even used it some on an old PowerBook g4.

You'll need mpegstreamclip to convert everything to either AAC (HD) or DV (SD). It does RUN on mavericks but requires a little hacking (manual install) on anything newer than Snow leopard.

Only problem is if you ever want to go to FCPX you'll have to unlearn everything, but that's true whatever you run.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2012

----------

[/COLOR]
Another vote for FCX 4. I ran it for years on my 2008 iMac and did lots of hour+ projects in high def on it. I think it only had 2gb ram most of that time and was perfectly responsive. Even used it some on an old PowerBook g4.

You'll need mpegstreamclip to convert everything to either AAC (HD) or DV (SD). It does RUN on mavericks but requires a little hacking (manual install) on anything newer than Snow leopard.

Only problem is if you ever want to go to FCPX you'll have to unlearn everything, but that's true whatever you run.

How do you get final cut ex 4 to properly update/run on a new mavericks-based iMac?

My late 2013 system is in the mail and I need to figure how to properly get FCE4 onto this new iMac.

I have the original install disc/serials for FCE4 to use.

Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.