Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave239

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
I have several encrypted disk images that I use for confidential data - all created in DiskUtility.

I have backups on CD, DVD,USB stick, external drives and multiple internal drives.
I regularly use all but 3 of them and have a common password that I therefore know is correct.

However I think I have made a stupid mistake. 3 of the images have not been needed for a very long time and when I tried to open them today they failed to open - on all backed up media versions. I then realised that they may have been originally created on my previos computer (PowerPC G4) which I no longer possess. I checked that every file was transferred to my MacPro but I may have failed to check that the disk images opened - my mistake !
Before posting this I have tried opening them in OS 10.6.4, 10.6.5, 10.6.6, 10.7.1, 10.7.3 and 10.8.5 with no success. All my other images open perfectly.

Please can anyone advise whether or not an encrypted disk image created on a PowerPC should open "normally" on an Intel Mac or whether this has never been possible?

If not can anyone suggest any way to open them on a Mac Pro?

Thankyou

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.