Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

langl3y

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2014
Hi,

I am still in debate on which to get. I want to get the 27" iMac as i like to work off big screens, but would look into getting the new Macbook Pro for space purposes.

What are people opinions on the two specs i have picked and what would you go for?

27-inch iMac:
3.4GHz Intel core i5
8GB RAM (would upgrade if needed in the future)
512GB Flash Storage
4GB NVIDIA Graphics Card
Magic Trackpad

15-inch Macbook Pro (Retina)
2.5GHz Intel Core i7
16GB RAM (Standard)
512GB Flash Storage
Inteol Iris Pro + MVIDIA GT 750M 2GB

OUB

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
Paris, France
I'm also looking to replace my 2008 macbook pro. I used the 27 inch iMac for a while before in my lab and the size + power (compared to the laptop) just makes the experience way more enjoyable. The graphic card is also drastically better.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Depends on if you need potability. Then the MBP wins hands down. If not, then the iMac would be my first choice. Bigger screen and just a little faster than the MBP. If you want the best of both worlds take the MBP and get yourself an external screen for additional screen space.

Both are great machines and will do just about anything you throw at them, so it will pretty much come down to how mobile you need it to be.

jdblas69

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Do you need the portability of a laptop? Or is strictly just to take up less space?

IMO if I am using the computer a majority of the time from the same work area then the iMac would be a no brainer.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I'm loving my Late 2013 27" iMac. For me, there's no contest on display size - while I could certainly have a similar desktop layout (major apps open side-by-side) on the MBPr, my old eyes would not be happy. Further, unless I were to put the MBPr on a pedestal to raise the display (and use a separate keyboard), neck strain would also be a major issue. Bottom line? I spend at least 8 hours a day at my computer. Ergonomics makes the iMac the hands-down winner for me.

I'm not sure what your space constraints may be, but unless they're substantial (like working on a desktop the size of an airline tray table)... I find the width of the 27" (a bit over 25") is the amount of space I'd normally occupy anyway - it's not much more than the width of my shoulders, and well below the top of my head when seated. 6" of empty desktop space on either side of the keyboard is the minimum I'd be comfy with under any circumstances, which brings us right back to the width defined by the iMac. The only footprint issue for me is that the iMac needs additional depth - about 18" total from the front edge of the desk. Still, there aren't many desks that are less than 18" deep. I know there are desk layouts where the iMac would block access to some shelf space, but outside of that?

One tech modification I'd suggest is Fusion Drive - 512gb is just not enough for me; 3TB on-board HDD makes more sense, and Fusion is working brilliantly, speed-wise. Overall, better bang for the storage buck.

langl3y

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2014
Thanks for the replies guys, my desk space will be considerably changing very soon, im just a bit worried that the 27" will over power the room in size. I could do down the root of having an external monitor for extra space if need be. I'm moving from a windows desktop. (Have been looking at this for ages) use mac in work, i just love how the OS is easier to work around and not as clunky as windows.

Im not a fan of having the screen sat directly in front of me, i like to have it set as far back for eyes comfort. Portability is not a major need for me, i was just thinking of the less space i will be having as to looking at both options.

I guess i need to go and trial out a few things to see what fits best for me.

Truthfulie

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
Perhaps you should also look into buying 21" model if you think 27" model will be an issue due to space.

As for choosing between iMac and rMBP, you can only answer that question. Do you need/want it to move around? If yes, there is no question about it. Get rMBP. If no, get iMac and enjoy the large screen. Personally I've moved from 13" MBP and love using the large screen. Not only do I have more room to multi-task, it's more immersive experience as well.

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Oct 9, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys, my desk space will be considerably changing very soon, im just a bit worried that the 27" will over power the room in size. I could do down the root of having an external monitor for extra space if need be. I'm moving from a windows desktop. (Have been looking at this for ages) use mac in work, i just love how the OS is easier to work around and not as clunky as windows.

Im not a fan of having the screen sat directly in front of me, i like to have it set as far back for eyes comfort. Portability is not a major need for me, i was just thinking of the less space i will be having as to looking at both options.

I guess i need to go and trial out a few things to see what fits best for me.

a 48x32 or bigger desk is fine,i have my imac on my desk wth kb and monitor with two speakers and its control panel.router and modem on kb tray

you can also get the wall mount as well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.